Quote Originally Posted by skech View Post
the personal tastes of the customer or the designer should not dictate the look of the site but the end-user.
It's not about personal tastes at all, or the end-users likes or dislikes.

All web-sites have a purpose. Sometimes it's to facilitate some kind of service, sometimes it's to sell, sometimes to inform, sometimes to amuse or entertain - a whole host of reasons, and maybe more than one reason at a time - such as entertaining a user and educating them at the same time.

For sales, I think it's a question of motivating the visitor to see the product or products in a positive way and motivate them to purchase. My comments about the colour pallete aren't based on a whim, they are intended to reinforce the positive perception of the product - a natural golden light liquid, grown in sunshine. The suggestion was simply about promoting the positive aspects of the product in the users mind - suggesting lightness and purity of the product with a lighter pallete reflecting something of the natural golden colour of the product.

As Frank has said, explaining the reasons for the colour pallete choice is important and if the client doesn't agree, so be it, but often the client may choose on the basis of a personal preference, not a reasoned decision, probably because they don't understand the reason for choosing a particular pallette.

You can see that with some TV advertising, companies go out of the way to get the general colour pallette seen on screen to match the colours of the product. My suggestion is no differrent.