Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Greetings All,
    I am pretty sure we covered this some time ago, but I can not find a proper search reference.

Here is the issue. Too many shapes. When moving thousand shaped things around, the screen redraw is WAY too slow. Cutting back to wireframe does no good. I tried putting a black rectangle over the shapes and combining. No good. Xara still wants to show me every single shape it is taking the trouble to draw. I can appreciate that Xara is able to do this. I just wish to view a "placeholder" while I resize, etc.

Any thoughts ???

Rgds,
    tad

Greetings All,
    I am pretty sure we covered this some time ago, but I can not find a proper search reference.

Here is the issue. Too many shapes. When moving thousand shaped things around, the screen redraw is WAY too slow. Cutting back to wireframe does no good. I tried putting a black rectangle over the shapes and combining. No good. Xara still wants to show me every single shape it is taking the trouble to draw. I can appreciate that Xara is able to do this. I just wish to view a "placeholder" while I resize, etc.

Any thoughts ???

Rgds,
    tad

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

One thing you can try is unchecking the 'background redraw' option that you can find at the bottom of the view tab in the options.

Here's what the help file has to say about that option:
    "When this option is set, redraw is slowed down, but the drawing can be edited while redraw takes place. For maximum redraw speed, disable this option."

Another thing to try is good old grouping. It has been my observation that moving a group selection is easier on the program than a large selection of all individual objects. I can't confirm the valitity of that observation.

Hope these ideas help.

Regards, Ross

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>

It DOES work faster. Can't watch the pretty shapes go by, but that had become maddening.

Amazing that I've been using Xara since this forum was a newsletter, but never noticed that one. Maybe I should use the Help file more often.

Rgds,
    tad

Also,

Also it was mentioned earlier to group objects, so that when you do select the objects Xara won't try to display all selections for each object within the group.

Another one, if you can put things logically onto layers, then turn of the viewability of specific layers.