Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Nav bar issue

Hybrid View

Default Re: Nav bar issue

Auto highlighting of the current page is default behaviour with just the MouseOver an MouseOff layers present. It will also work with those two layers plus the MouseDown layer. In this case the Down layer is used for the page indicator. As yours was blank nothing was there to display.

P.S. Just read through the site, brilliant
    Last edited by Drwyd; 07 January 2012 at 02:21 AM.

WD6 Re: Nav bar issue

Drwyd you are a genius (fawn fawn) i'm still coming to grips with mouse on mouse off mouse traps etc and it now makes sense, what is odd though is that i have used several type of supplied navbar templates and got the same result - the original problem may have happened when i was changing the colour scheme of the navbar - to correct it if i just use your modded web file is to just replace my one with the one you done?

Hopefully if i can get my last few brain cells into gear i will finish the last page today and the site will go live on sunday sometime, so i will post a message in the websites bit on here in case anyon else fancies a chuckle.

Again thx so much for sorting it out and Easter is next on the hitlist and your suggesting is interesting.....

Just as a side issue, the changes have given me the the effect that went missing, just expanding on that, if for instance i wanted the nav bar to "highlight" each button on mouseover action, looking in the mouseover layer thats blank at the moment, i'm assuming i would need to copy the bar and make it a different colour and make sure it was in the mouseover layer to work? or is that too simplistic?

Ray

Ray
    Last edited by Ramshackle; 07 January 2012 at 08:23 AM. Reason: Additions.

Hi Ray

Abi Spotted the problem (and supplied the fix) I just added the extra info

i'm assuming i would need to copy the bar and make it a different colour and make sure it was in the mouseover layer to work? or is that too simplistic?
    Nope, that's pretty much it
    Last edited by Drwyd; 07 January 2012 at 09:34 AM.

My sincere aplogies to Abi, it was a quick read quite early this morning my "not worthy" is directed to you for spotting it and Drwyd gets an extra credit! many thx to you both youv'e saved this Grumpy Old Git a few more grey hairs!

I hope you both get what you want for Valentines Day lol

Ray

Hi again guys, i'm still struggling a bit with the concept of the buttons, iv'e posted the web files for my other webpage i did for xmas, if any of you clever types can work out how i can get the navbar in the valentines site to work the same as the one in the xmas page i'd be eternally grateful! - from what i can see, the xmas.web layer and gallery is showing just two layers, MouseOver and MouseOff and the navbar works a treat. - In the valentines.web site, the layer gallery has 3 layers, MouseOver, MouseOff and MouseDown - thats where i'm a bit confused, the working navbar (xmas page) has one less layer but does the exact thing i was looking for i.e page highlight, mouseover action and mousedown action - really cant work this one out.....

Hope the above makes sense, tho the website navbars speak for themselves...

my attempts at copying the navbar didnt seem to work for me - even copying the xmas navbar direct into the vanlentines one didnt work which leaves me to believe something else is going on i may have done...
    Ray
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Ramshackle; 07 January 2012 at 02:40 PM. Reason: addition

Abi's version does not have mouse over effect however.

I MouseOff is the primary layer and MouseOver is the layer that will highlight the button when the visitors cursor passes over the image. MouseDown is an option layer that can be used to display a different image when the button is clicked.

As dwryd points out, but defaut, the mouse over layer is displayed to identify the current page.

Hi gwpriester, thx for chipping in, as you say abi's version doesnt have the mouse over effect, but when i built the xmas webpage all i did was drop the navbar on what i assume was the "mouseoff" layer and as you can see when previewed it does "stick" to the page, "highlight" when mouse over and the image changes a little when clicked, which is what i want to emulate on the valentine.web site, the navbar on the xmas.web site was just a stock one from the gallery but i cant make it play ball in the valentine.web site, please accept my apologies if i'm appearing dim here, but i'm assuming if i just drag and drop a navbar into the "mouseoff" layer it should behave like the one in the xmas.web site but it doesnt seem to be the case here for some reason.

Again thx for the input

Ray

OK Even I learn something new every day. (Or I relearn something I have forgotten).

If you create three button states, MouseOff, MouseOver, and MouseDown, the mouse down will serve to indicate the selected page.

So using this method the selected page button will be different from the mouse over button and will also give you an additional action when the button is press.

See attached.

Ray, you have to make sure that the bar you dropped on the mouse off layer, retains its layers. It probably has merged all the layers onto the mouse off layer.
    Attached Files Attached Files