When I need "white" space (or more properly "blank" space) around an exported drawing, then this is what I do:

1. Create a rectangle to use as the background of the image. Be certain it has the proper dimensions. Consider placing it on a separate, lower-level layer.

2. Draw and compose elements within the bounds of the rectangle created above. Perhaps they should be on one or more higher-level layers.

3. When I'm ready to export, I select the rectangle (with the proper dimensions) and make it transparent.

At this point, the transparent rectangle should still be selected. However, if you click away and deselect it, you will not be able to simply click on it again to select it. To successfully select it, you will need to lasso the entire rectangle using the mouse. So remember where the invisible rectangle is!

4. With all the objects selected, you can begin the Export process by using the keyboard combo Ctrl+Shift+E.

Best practice tip: When saving the file for later use, I select just the transparent rectangle and set an outline color. That way when I open the file later, I have a visual cue where that invisible rectangle is.

http://burlapmonkey.com/portfolio