Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Show layer thumbnails

I know how to switch off "Show page thumbnails" but is there any way I can switch off "Show layer thumbnails"? I have a complex but only 4-page website that is excruciatingly slow in Xara, and the interminable egg-timer displays every time I pop out the Page and Layer Gallery and it seems to be caused by the drawing of the layer thumbnails. On pages with few layers there is no delay.

I haven't experienced this before and the only difference between this site and others I have done is that this site uses a fair number of placeholders hiding chunks of php code. I'm pointing the finger at the layer thumbnails, but has anybody else any experience of the Page and Layer Gallery slowing everything down?

I'm currently forced into working in "Unlock all on page" mode because the Gallery has become virtually unusable. It is a right pain.

Any ideas anybody?
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

Default Re: Show layer thumbnails

JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64

Thanks for that tip. I'll switch them off and see if it makes any performance difference. If it works I'll make a couple of shortcuts to switch them on and off at will because having them switched off permanently is also not ideal.
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

No joy. Same problem.

grrr
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

OK, here's the latest news on this. The problem is definitely associated with the Page and Layer Gallery. I thought I had it cracked when I found a soft group that could not be ungrouped, soft or hard. Being the page footer, the group appears on all pages of the site so I removed it and recreated it so that now it behaves normally as one would expect. The P & L Gallery appeared for a couple of minutes to behave well and I thought I had it sussed, but on clicking open a page and selecting a layer the program stops entirely and if I click a second time anywhere I get the "Not responding" alert in the title bar. I have to wait a minute or so for it to respond. However, the wait is now bearable so it looks like the corrupt soft group was responsible for at least part of what ails me.

I'll come back and report if I find a solution.
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

I'm currently in bed so having to use my laptop to work and i'm doing seo on that same website and the wait is once again interminable so today we will have an answer, come hell or high water. I have, in between interminable waits, deleted all but the template page and saved it as a debug file. The page has 13 layers and I've narrowed it down to one layer. Deleting that layer removes the problem, but it's also the most complex layer so deleting it in the production file is not an option. I will have to delete objects one by one in the P&L Gallery to find who is the culprit... in between interminable waits - i'm coming to despise the windows 7 "hourglass"

i'll get back to you one way or another with a reply
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

I've cracked it!

The problem was/is a complex bevelled shadowed clipviewed text group - i deleted the text group and the page & layer gallery behaves and i can actually use the program

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ukcarbuyer logo group.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	40.6 KB 
ID:	86443

damn, i'm so glad to have found it

i attach the file so anybody who wants to can tell me if they too get the "hang" on hovering the mouse over the thumbnails in the p&l gallery - i'd be interested in any feedback, is this a bug? or just a corrupt bevel group?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ukcarbuyer.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	32.4 KB 
ID:	86442

ukcarbuyer.xar

the problem now is i'm going to have to convert the logo to a png and replace this in every page of the site. it's the site logo, it's their logo, i can hardly mess with it in any way now, lol

at least it's the last time, i guess, i'll have these interminable waits
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

Can't see any 'hanging' here
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64

Beretgascon,

No Problem here either.
    Regards,
    Peter