Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Simple DTP in XDP 7

Hi, I'm doing a bit of very simple DTP in Xara and I wanted to check my approach to creating text across multiple pages:

1) Create a text block (I think Xara calls these a 'story') about the size of the page on Page 1 and then enter a bunch of text until it spills out of the bottom.

2) Add a second page.

3) Here's where I may not be doing things 'correctly'... I want the spill over from Page 1 to go onto page 2 so I copied the text block on Page 1, Paste it in-place onto Page 2, deleted the text content on Page 2 then finally go back to page 1 and drag from the little icon in the bottom right of the text block into page 2's block.

Any better way of doing this?

Default Re: Simple DTP in XDP 7

If you create the text areas first, before entering/pasting the text, you don't have to delete it from the second text area, but that's basically the way I've been doing it. It's worked fairly well for the 47 or so pages I have so far on Spookybeans.

-- Ben
    -----------------------
    Ben Morgan: ad1066 AT gmail thingy
    Chapter 13 Press: www.chapter13press.com
    Burn After Reading: www.burnafterreadingpress.com

When you have overfill of text in a column, there will be a red "down arrow" at the bottom right. Click that arrow, navigate to the new page and simply draw out the new column. The overfilled text flows into the new column.

Take care, Mike

So just clicking on the arrow icon at the bottom of a text area automatically sets up a link to the next text area drawn? You learn something new every day, huh? Useful, thanks.

-- Ben
    -----------------------
    Ben Morgan: ad1066 AT gmail thingy
    Chapter 13 Press: www.chapter13press.com
    Burn After Reading: www.burnafterreadingpress.com

Yes, that's what I meant when I said "...finally go back to page 1 and drag from the little icon in the bottom right of the text block into page 2's block".

But one doesn't need to copy the page 1 text block and delete anything.

Mike

ah, ok... but how do I get around not having a text block in Page 2. I'd still need to create one first, right?

No. No need to first create a text column. With the text tool active, simply click onto the arrow, navigate to the page you desire the overflow, then draw out the new column.

Try it...Mike

In its simplest form, paste or create your text into a text area.

Click the red arrow that appears to indicate an overflow of text.

Drag a new text area.

The text automatically flows into the new text area.

Resize the text areas as needed. If you change the size of the text area or area, the text automatically reformats.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Hello all, thanks for the replies - the text flow concept I'm fine with, it was just the bit about having to redraw a text area on the next page I wanted to streamline. The' cut - place in place - delete text' on page 2 was the easiest way I could think of to ensure I had a text area that matched the exact size and placement of the original on page 1.