Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Post Xara Web Design 7 - CMS

Ido have the xara 3D and Xara Web D hosted version. I'm almost buying the Xara WD7 as well. I'm doing websites for clients. Its possible to have / add CMS on it, then some parts of the website ( contents - as photos , text, forms etc...) be editable. Clients can do themselves. I've been using WEBPLUSX5 from serif BUT they do not have a cms unbranded. Today... everyone wants to "update" they websites. how I'll do that using Xara WD 7?

Default Re: Xara Web Design 7 - CMS

This question has come up a lot and the simple answer is no, you cannot do that.

NetObjects Fusion (netobjects.com) can do this. But it requires that you and your client both have the product installed.

You could set up a site in WD7 and have your client purchase a copy of WD7. Except you will have to train your client to use WD7 (be sure to charge your client for the instruction). But this would not automatically update on your computer. So you and your client would need to exchange .web files.

I found out many years ago that what is very easy for me to do, is very hard for non designers to do, and I spent too much time providing free tech support.

I would suggest telling your client, you do what you do best, which is creating your product or service, and let me do what I do best which is creating and updating your website.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    I found out many years ago that what is very easy for me to do, is very hard for non designers to do, and I spent too much time providing free tech support.

I would suggest telling your client, you do what you do best, which is creating your product or service, and let me do what I do best which is creating and updating your website.
    Exactermungo..!

You can always tell when someone is new to Designing web sites for 'clients' by how often this question is asked.

It's natural for a customer to ask "I want to be able to update the site myself" - but the reality is, 99% of the time they have no idea what effort that will take them. If they did, and it was easy for them -they'd probably be making there own websites in the first place.
    As Gary says, it generally means hours of support on the phone explaining to them how to do this, over and over again. It's just not worth the headache.
    Gary's point two is spot on. I recommend everyone who asks this question takes his advice.

I'd tend to agree with Gary and ShapeShifter but if your client just want's to make simple changes then Cushy CMS works fine with Web Designer 7.
    All you need to do i create a place holder with the following code in the body for it to work.

<div class= "cushycms">
    </div>

You will of course need to set up a Cushy CMS acount (which is free), link the pages and create user accounts for your client.
    http://www.cushycms.com/en

I use it for simple stuff where a client needs to get an urgent message out to the site visitors. It works well and I still retain control over all other updates, for which I get paid.
    Last edited by greenbag; 14 August 2011 at 07:38 PM. Reason: correcting spelling errors

I agree with the comments made by Gary and ShapeShifter! I have said similar to certain clients "let me do what I do best which is creating and updating your website".
    That is most often accepted. A few however, will still want to do some basic editing.
    And I have let them. Almost all in that situation get frustrated and turn it back to me.
    They valued my services more after trying things themselves.

I have used a simple TXT file pulled in using an include statement. The client uploads a change to the text file and the new message appears where the old one was.
    I am interested in this cushycms option. Could you give us a link to how you are using this technique greenbag? This might come in real handy.
    -Samantha
    "Try to live your life so that you wouldn't be afraid to sell the family parrot to the town gossip." Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)