Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Clipart, Images, Templates from Previous versions

Hi all,

So I've just received my copy of DP7 in the post. Now before I uninstall previous versions of Xtreme 4 and Web Designer 5 & 6. Does DP7 contain all the same Clipart, images, templates etc?

I've obviously used some of the content for project so need to make sure they're still available to me. If they're not included (DP7 has fresh / new content) should I either

a, keep previous versions installed

b, make a copy of the content folders and move them into the DP7 program folder when installed so I can still access them

Many thanks
    Dean

Default Re: Clipart, Images, Templates from Previous versions

Either approach will work. The question is, "which way works best for you?"

Allison

Well I thought the latter but it's not going as well as I thought.

I'm trying to use the 'Add Designs From Disc' but DP7 can't create an index for the folders. I encounter a 'Can't find any suitable files to add to the index for the specified folder'.

Any ideas?

I notice DP7 uses a catindex.txt whilst Xtreme 4 and WD6 use xaraclip.txt to index folders. Is there a way to create these without manually typing every entry?

I know I can navigate via explorer to import clipart from other directories but it would be nice to be access all from the design Gallery tab in DP7.

Thanks
    Dean

Dean at present I don't see a way around having to hand type each line of text to create a catindex.txt file for the older version clipart.

I have a couple of days off from work coming up so. I will see what may be done to automate the process.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Quote Originally Posted by Deanx View Post
    I've obviously used some of the content for project so need to make sure they're still available to me.
    The clipart you have use in your project will still be available in the file. It's not referenced back to the earlier version clipart folders (not an OLE object).

Dean at present I don't see a way around having to hand type each line of text to create a catindex.txt file for the older version clipart.
    You can copy any old versions clipart folder (example, I just copied the /logos clipart folder from version 4) to any other location on your PC, uninstall the older version/s then in DP7 use the 'Disc designs' button in the Designs Gallery to add the folder to the list.
    Xara will create the catindex.txt file automatically and the new folder will appear in your Designs Gallery.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2011-08-05_102449.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	41.2 KB 
ID:	83376  

So SS I guess I can just goof off and forget about doing anything on my days off.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Sounds like a fine plan

Shape Shifter

Quote Originally Posted by ShapeShifter View Post
    The clipart you have use in your project will still be available in the file.
    Yes, but I've since manipulated them so would like the original just incase.

Quote Originally Posted by ShapeShifter View Post
    You can copy any old versions clipart folder (example, I just copied the /logos clipart folder from version 4) to any other location on your PC, uninstall the older version/s then in DP7 use the 'Disc designs' button in the Designs Gallery to add the folder to the list.
    Xara will create the catindex.txt file automatically and the new folder will appear in your Designs Gallery.
    Hmmm, this is exactly what I did but kept getting the error as mentioned. I've attached some screenshots to shoe what I get. The only way I can seem to add them is by going very deep into the old clipart folders and adding the xarainfo folder. This then seems to import into DP7 albeit with a long winded title. PLus it means I have to do this for every catagory, animals,animated banners, architect, etc etc.

I must be doing something wrong.

Many thanks again
    Dean
    Attached Files Attached Files

From your screenshots it appears that you're trying to add the wrong folder Dean (C:\Program Files\Xara\Xara 4).

Try this:
    Make a copy of the folder below to another location on your PC:

C:\Program Files\Xara\Xara Xtreme Pro 4\Clipart (Probably C:\Program Files\Xara\Xara 4\Clipart in your case ?)

Then in DP7 add each subfolder via the afore mentioned method.
    It works 100% as it should.

If you'd like me to create a screen video showing the steps, just ask