Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default PDF export text not showing up.... ???

Hi guys, I am having difficulty with the pdf export settings.

It seems like it is working fine but text will not show up when viewed on Apple computers/ipad/iphone. Pdf opens fine on my windows system.

I know that I can "print" to a pdf viewer like "cute pdf" or similar but those viewers distort and cut off pages and are a general pain to use with xara.

I could also convert the text to "editable shapes" but then all the 'l' 's look terrible and the text generally looks very rough and horrible.

Do any of you guys have any ideas, or have you guys encountered this issue before - and if so how did you work around it?
    Thanks!

Default Re: PDF export text not showing up.... ???

Hello caryjames,

Perhaps a font embedding issue. Try using PDFX for the export. Uncheck all the publishing items (bleed, crop marks, etc.) and try it again. This should force the font to be embedded. If there is a setting for Subset fonts, make sure it is 0% and no more than 2%.

Take care, Mike

Default Re: PDF export text not showing up.... ??? - SOLVED - iphone/ipad IMPORTANT!! :)

Hi Mike- thanks for your reply! I tried your tips but they did not have any effect on my issue.. they helped very much in the problem solving however.

So, if you are exporting a pdf and you would like clients to be able to view your document properly on an iphone or ipad you will have to uncheck the box "Allow unicode for text encoding" under the objects panel.

Iphone/ipad do not properly use unicode and therefore your text might not show up - mine did not and this was the work around - your text will display differently than intended on the iphone, however on a Max or Windows machine will display as intended.

Hope that this helps someone in the future!!

Default Re: PDF export text not showing up.... ??? - SOLVED - iphone/ipad IMPORTANT!! :)

Always, always have your text in the top most layer or top of the stack in the design gallery if you haven't used layers.
    Design is thinking made visual.