Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How to do a graphic look

I ran across a thread a while back on doing a 3D box, that I believe Rik did. Shown is the example box. Can someone point me to tutorial or link on how to do the "shading" effect on the front of the box? Is just a overlapping of different shapes with different transparencies? I played around with the transparency tool, but didn't get the same effect.

I am new to this and get over whelmed by all of the cool effects you guys do. Is there a "central" location that might show samples of looks, and a how to? Also the 3D box thread link, can't seem to find again.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3D Box.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	30.0 KB 
ID:	82466

Thanks
    Al

Default Re: How to do a graphic look

There were quite a few who participated in that thread, from what I seem to remember.
    I could be wrong!!!

I won't have access to my main computer for a few days but on my Laptop, I seemed to have saved the one that Harry (haytay) did.

He was happy to share it so I'm sure he won't mind me posting that here again.

Ungroup things and clipview has been applied as well.

Take it apart and see how it was done by Harry.
    Harry's is a little bit different to mine but I can't find mine at the moment. Sorry.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Rik; 21 June 2011 at 10:52 PM. Reason: additional comment

Featured Artist on Xara Xone . May 2011
    . A Shield . My First Tutorial
    . Bottle Cap . My Second Tutorial on Xara Xone

Thanks Rik
    I ungrouped things, but when I isolate the major front piece I still don't see how he did the 3 semi circles on the front that are different shades. It doesn't ungroup any further. Also how was the shading done on the text, 3D?

I look at your site, you really do some nice stuff, outstanding.
    Thanks

I removed the clip view and it looks like a series of ellipses with transparency applied, what color did the ellipses start off as to end up with that foggy look.

Only the original box creator would know the steps taken but looking at the image above I can see how I might approach the task.

The shaded overlaid ellipses could easily be applied over the extruded box shape then with the box at the back -- select all and apply 'Clipview' (Q)

(There's also some slicing involved for the spine graphic)

The 3D text shading could just be a clone of the original text which is given a 30% black colour, feathered a little then a linear transparency applied.

File attached

(Use 'alt+Q' To remove clipview)
    Last edited by ShapeShifter; 22 June 2011 at 02:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by laguna92651 View Post
    I removed the clip view and it looks like a series of ellipses with transparency applied, what color did the ellipses start off as to end up with that foggy look.
    We cross posted

The ellipse colour can start off as white or a lighter shade of the main blue. Play with it untill you get what you're after.

Okay thanks. Sorry for asking, but what is file for, the box in the middle won't budge, what the heck did you do to it, hahaha? How would I go about making book pages for a book look instead of a box?
    Thanks

Very very odd -- there seems to be a bad bug in WD7Premium.

I deleted the above attachment thinking I made an error and then re opened my original file to check it before re attaching here and see that the ellipse artwork is completely missing from view and yes, the box is immovable on the page. Checking the P&L there are no layers or object set to hidden or locked.

If I expand the layer in WD7P then expand the clipped group and click the 'eye' icon for the Ellipse twice (hide then un hide) the box graphics suddenly appear

Also, the box is now movable.

Checked for updates and it appears I have the latest version (7.0.4 build 16614 April 19)

Screenshot -- http://i.imgur.com/3eBGq.jpg

There's no clipview feature in Web Designer of course. I created the file in Designer Pro 7 and seeing your profile only lists Web Designer I assumed you were opening it in this program version.
    Sorry for the confusion (I even confused myself!)
    If you still have the file I attached earlier, it should open just fine in DP7 - but DP6 not. So follow the directions I gave previously regarding the layers

Yes, there is a known bug when an extrusion is used as the clipping object in a clipview. This problem was fixed for the 7.1.1 version of DP7 and the fix will be included in the next update to WD and WDP.

Meanwhile, simply nudging the whole drawing immediately after loading the file should make everything redraw correctly and be selectable.

Gerry