Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: XD7 - Why no pen tool?

The pen tool certainly does have its uses (which is why it wasn't removed completely) but unless you are either very familiar with how bezier paths work or have used a similar tool in another application then it takes quite a lot of getting used to before you can use it well. The shape editor and freehand tool seem to be much easier for new users to get to grips with so the decision was taken to remove the pen tool from the standard toolbar setup to avoid confusion.

Gerry

I've never been able to wrap my head around using the Pen tool, the Shape Editor accounts for about 80% of my work in XDP.

-- Ben
    -----------------------
    Ben Morgan: ad1066 AT gmail thingy
    Chapter 13 Press: www.chapter13press.com
    Burn After Reading: www.burnafterreadingpress.com

Gerry
    I guess I fall into the 'have used a similar tool in another application' as I came to Xara from Painter many (many) years ago. I will give the shape editor a go and see how it feels.

What I really love about drawing with the Shape Editor Tool, is you can click a series of lines and then with the same too, drag the lines into curves and if needs be, edit the Bezier control handles for more control. It is very linear and very intuitive.

I prefer working with the Make Line option and dragging the segments into curves. But you have the option of drawing in the Make Curve option which treats lines as curves and has a very lovely feel and flow to it.

Sorry about my incorrect remarks about the premature death of the Pen Tool. I never missed it so I never thought to look and see if the icon was still available.

Quote Originally Posted by GerryI View Post
    The pen tool certainly does have its uses (which is why it wasn't removed completely) .

Gerry
    If the pen tool is still there, could you possibly provide simple instructions on how to put it back on the fly-out? It is much simpler for some of us to use. Thanks
    Tony

Select "Control Bars..." from the Window menu.
    Scroll to bottom of list and check the "Button palette".
    Move the button palette if necessary so you can see the tool bar.
    Click the path tools flyout button to make the flyout stay open (if you want to put it on the flyout).
    Alt-drag the button from the button palette and drop it onto the path tools flyout (or the main toolbar if you prefer).
    Close the button palette bar again.

You will have to do this both in normal and full screen mode if you use both.

Gerry

Gerry,
    ..thanks, but it refuses to stick when I place it inside the 'path' tools flyout. Works if I place it elsewhere, but I prefer it back where it belongs.

...any others ways to try?

minstrel
    Last edited by minstrel; 28 May 2011 at 06:19 PM.
    ...the best is yet to come!

Thanks, Gerry. Very useful.
    Following your instructions, placing the button directly on the tool bar works fine. Placing it on the fly-out it doesn't stick (as Minstrel says). I can live with this but placing it on the fly-out would be better.
    Tony

I can get it to go on the flyout - but only by replacing one of the other tools - looks like it might be limited in space ?
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Hmmm, yes, sorry about that. It looks like a bug with the flyout bars. I'll run it by the person responsible for the bars system and see if we can get it fixed.

Gerry