Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Talk Web

Default Talk Web

Each morning, with coffee and Weetabix by the computer, I click on the "What's New?" button at the top of the TG forum and read the new entries as an accompaniment to breakfast. I open each new thread that interests me in a background browser tab, then mark the forums read.
    This morning I had nothing to read with my breakfast and had to visit XaraUsers instead. Below is a screenshot of the reason I had nothing to read. These are just the first fifteen of the twenty listings, the queue of web-related posts stretched much further down the hall. Even the couple that were marked "Dear Xara" and "Graphics & Animation" were web-related.
    So here, encapsulated within the screenshot, are 15 reasons why I don't participate in the TG forums anything like as much as I used to; TG has been swamped by the web. Graphics are very much relegated to an afterthought by the popularity of web design.
    TG might just as well have a new competition for a new "Talk Web" logo. Still, I suppose this just mirrors the direction that Magix/Xara is moving in. It's not the fault of TG, but it is sad to see the way the character of place has changed beyond all recognition.
    Saludos,
    Bob.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tweb.png 
Views:	128 
Size:	6.9 KB 
ID:	80896  
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

Default Re: Talk Web

Sad, as you say Bob

Name:  tg_web.png
Views: 181
Size:  11.2 KB
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64

Remember WebDesigner7 was recently launched, guys!

Phil

True - but judging by last year a small wager says the majority of posts will be Web related even after XDP7 is released C'est la vie ... as the English say
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64

My 5 pence worth?!

I agree with all that Bob says in his original post.

but true.

Featured Artist on Xara Xone . May 2011
    . A Shield . My First Tutorial
    . Bottle Cap . My Second Tutorial on Xara Xone

I agree and I'm NOT a graphics guy. I've been creating websites since 1995, as a marketing guy instead of graphics guy. But after three years with XWD, I'm finally discovering the joy of graphics, and looking for what I can.

But the problem is with the vBulletin forum software. It does little good to break the forum into separate topics -- unless we can SUBSCRIBE to separate topics of our choice. (Apologies if we can do that, but I haven't found how to)

Then again .... why are you looking at new postrings for the entire board instead of the graphics topics? Topic subscriptions mostly avoid having to come here to see if there's anything of interest.

Just the thoughts of a primitive non-graphic dude.

Quote Originally Posted by mikehihn View Post
    I agree and I'm NOT a graphics guy. I've been creating websites since 1995, as a marketing guy instead of graphics guy. But after three years with XWD, I'm finally discovering the joy of graphics, and looking for what I can.

But the problem is with the vBulletin forum software. It does little good to break the forum into separate topics -- unless we can SUBSCRIBE to separate topics of our choice. (Apologies if we can do that, but I haven't found how to)

Then again .... why are you looking at new postrings for the entire board instead of the graphics topics? Topic subscriptions mostly avoid having to come here to see if there's anything of interest.

Just the thoughts of a primitive non-graphic dude.
    The problem with people only coming to visit when they are notified that there might be a posting in their designated area of main interest, is that the community disappears as the site becomes little more than a notice board. Also the best way to increase the amount of art/graphics is to post some. I say this as someone who has done nothing of postable interest in months.
    Derek

Derek a few of us come along here to help others and I find as Bob does little or no things to contribute on! as other have stated sad.
    Design is thinking made visual.

Quote Originally Posted by Albacore View Post
    Derek a few of us come along here to help others and I find as Bob does little or no things to contribute on! as other have stated sad.
    I agree completely. I'm not a huge user of the web functions of Designer, though I own web 7 and produce a few web sites I am dismayed that web functions appear to dominate the forum whilst XaraUsers don't seem to suffer the same 'problem'. Once Designer 7 is released I'm sure that the interest will swing back to more general graphics topics for a while.
    Derek

I agree too; focus has become fuzzy.
    Phil Thompson