Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hybrid View

Default Re: An experiment for Xara users

thanks mike but both of you are confused on my issue
    I said I occassionally import in such as the splash for like an accent graphic
    then i will go back to xara and add my vector lettering and such, i by no means design signs in artrage
    i only use it for added effects like airbrushing, because with one click you can turn a png into a frisket
    that you can use over the graphic you import in, and airbrush over the frisket, without stepping out of the boundaries.
    and as far as using illustrator for bevels, yes it's vector, but the results are not good.
    there is nothing that even comes close to the quality of the bevels in Xara.

Hi Jnerf,

Read this thread:
    http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthre...ht=#post209027

i made this design to print in a banner of 20 feet by four feet.

It required to be exported as a 60 inch by 12 inch (aprox.)
    at 300 dpi in tiff file format. (150 MB)

That tiff image was downsampled to 72 dpi
    and scaled to 20 feet by 49.5 inches.

Although, I do not have a photo, some years ago
    I created a banner with the dimensions of a two story
    building using the same method.

Well the "challenge" was: "Xara has a problem with Exporting bevels of any resolution, usually like this, when you try to export at 96 dpi or above, Xara will crash..."

I submit that with the 300 dpi version I produced your statement is not entirely accurate. As I mentioned, it did produce an error on the bevel when doing any resolution over the full 14,000+ pixel dimension of the original. And this should be fixed in XDP.

If the issue is, well, working, then there are methods such as what I did that allows one to do so. This doesn't mean that Xara shouldn't attend to this bug, just that this limitation shouldn't affect workflow.

Take care, Mike

Hey Mike, i do appreciate the advice on the bevels as a work around
    because that seems to work well, until Xara irons out the issue.

thanks again
    Jeff

You're welcome, Jeff.

XDP should allow all effects to be exported it allows one to create.

I use to assemble large signage using both PhotoShop (1.4 gig files) and CorelDraw. I wish I had used XDP even with the few (very few) quibbles I have found. Just for fun I opened and manipulated a couple of the big PS files like I would do in CD. XDP was far faster. Ah well, live and learn.

Take care, Mike