Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hybrid View

Default Anti Glare vs Glossy

-----------------------

I cannot find an appropriate Forum to post this Thread. If a moderator of this Forum can redirect me I would be grateful.

------------------------

Most of my work involves graphic art and photo editing.

I really dislike Glossy screens because I find my own reflection and the reflection of other background objects to be distracting.

But Anti Glare screens compromise the colours and sharpness of images.

I have not been able to find a computer screen that strikes an acceptable compromise between these two extremes. I would be grateful to receive recommendations with regards to screens that are both non-reflective, sharp and reproduce colours accurately.

Or perhaps that is like looking for the Holy Grail...

T.

Default Re: Anti Glare vs Glossy

Actually, I have a DELL Ultra Sharp 24" monitor that is extremely bright http://accessories.dell.com/sna/prod...9&sku=320-8277

Vibrant, Accurate Color: PremierColor technology delivers color depth of 1.07 billion and 110% color gamut (typical)
    Instead of the measly 16.7 million color you get with most RGB monitors. I am extremely happy with mine.

Hi Gary

Thanks for the feedback and link.

I have "looked" at the product online and have read the reviews. Seems like an impressive piece of kit.

Do you know of a retailer in the UK that stocks this product so that I can get a "hands-on" (or I suppose more accurately an eyes-on") of the product? I have tried PC World but they don't stock Dell monitors. They stock other Dell products but not monitors

T.

If you are looking to buy have a look at the HP range or Dell Alienware if you are doing semi professional work. If you are on a strict budget have a look at Iiyama E2409 HDS as I use this as a second monitor and it is under £150 in the UK. All I would say in extra to this is if you are spending around 7 hours a day looking at a screen do you not think your eyes a worth spending a bit more on as they have got to last you a life time.
    Design is thinking made visual.

Albacore, you are absolutely correct. If one spends a lot of time in front of a monitor (as I do) then it is a false economy to use price as the principal determinant of what model you are going to purchase.

In this case, fortunately, price is not a factor. The monitor is critical to my work and I will spend whatever it takes to get the right piece of kit. However, it is also a fact that price is not a reliable guideline to quality, performance or suitability for purpose. Just because something costs more is not a guarantee that it will provide more satisfaction.

By example, the monitor that I am looking at as I type this is an Iiyama. I have another monitor, by another well-known brand, which cost more than twice as much as the Iiyama and which is supposed to be a dedicated "Graphics" monitor..... it has always been a disappointment..... so much so that I have gone back to using the Iiyama on a daily basis. So in this case price was certainly not an accurate measure of performance.

T.

Well if you don't mind spending £600 then look at BenQ FP241W 24in as everyone in our office fights over this one. Has a great viewing angle so if the glare starts you can move your chair to stop it or turn the screen.
    Design is thinking made visual.