Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Default Units

Question Default Units

Hello All

How do you change the units in Xara Web Designer 6 (WD6)?

In Xtreme 5 the options menu has a Units tab, but my trial version of (WD6) doesn't.

How do I change the default from cm to px?

Thanks!!

Default Re: Default Units

Right click on the page and select Page Options. In the Grid and Ruler tabbed section change the Major Spacing to 100 and the Number of Subdivisions to 10.

Web Designer has far fewer options than Xtreme 5. The assumption is people will be using WD for making websites and do not need as many options.

If you require the function and tools that you have in Xtreme 5 then Designer Pro 6 is a better way to go.

Hello... Thanks for the reply!

I have Xtreme5 and I don't see a good reason to upgrade that at the moment, so I decided to purchase Web Designer.

BTW all of Xara products are really cool an innovative.

So are you saying that I have to change units each time I start a new design, instead of just setting them once in a preference?

If so, that doesn't make much sense to me and I would suggest that a units tab be added to the options.

These guys can obviously program, so that shouldn't be a challenge.

I appreciate your clarificaion!

AM

Basically you do what Gary said and specify 100px for major spacing. This makes pixels your default unit. Go to the File menu and Save Template and be sure to check the Use as default template before clicking the Save button.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wd6-units.png 
Views:	131 
Size:	25.2 KB 
ID:	80253   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wd6-default-template.png 
Views:	131 
Size:	55.6 KB 
ID:	80254  

Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Web Designer page units are pixels by default and only pixels because web sites are not measured in inches or centimetres (or miles )

However, because WD shares the same core (Camelot) as Xtreme/Designer Pro, you can force cm or in via the page size tab and then the same in Grid and Ruler options (Major 1in - Sub'divs 8) and this will hold, but the info bar size units for all objects will remain in pixels.

I think I read somewhere that you can set preferred global document units in Xtreme5, save the .xar and then open that in WD6. This method will force the object size units in the info bar
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64