Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Default Re: Please please help re Xara Web Designer 6 and Deleting Browsing History

Quote Originally Posted by beretgascon View Post
    I haven't read all of this thread but you could, if you wanted to, put this little javascript snippet somewhere on the page (in a placeholder obviously):

Code:
    <a href="javascript:location.reload(true)">Not displaying properly? Refresh this page</a>
    You could either leave it there permanently or just until you resolve the problem. I do think, however, that this is most likely an ISP or proxy cache problem.

You could also set your own browser to not cache any pages:

http://www.wikihow.com/Clear-Your-Browser%27s-Cache
    Thank you so much for your help, i will try that code. As regarding changing my browser's settings, id rather leave it at default, where i guess the majority of the users'computers out there are set to ... so that i can see what they see .... :-) Thanks so much for your help :-) gleNN

Default Re: Please please help re Xara Web Designer 6 and Deleting Browsing History

Quote Originally Posted by bjornkn View Post
    There's another <meta> tag you might try too:
    <META HTTP-EQUIV="expires" CONTENT="0">
    It may or may not work, depending on the browser?
    It tells the browser to check if there is a newer version available than the one in the cache, and then is supposed to load the new one.

I just looked at your page again and found that it was scrambled. What happened was that the main picture was moved to the first menu button.
    A simple refresh/F5 fixed the problem, and that is really the preferred/common way to fix such problems.
    You may tell Xara to give the main image a specific name, by adding a name to it, like 'filename="main_image"'
    Then it will not be renumbered and mixed up with the other exported images even if you rearrange/edit your site.
    BTW, I have never had such problems when changing things. Every time I've uploaded some changes of course I need to F5/refresh to see the changes.
    I have never gotten any images moving around into buttons etc, even though I usually don't add filenames to my images, but let Xara choose a number.
    And when visitors come to the page for the first time they will see it correctly anyway. I think most browsers by default flushes their cache when closed?
    Using those meta tags may cause all your pages to reload every time, even when going back and forth between them. That may be more of a nuisance than appearing scrambled now and then (after an update).
    Thank you Bjornkn :-)

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    Hi

I don't know much about designing websites, but I use them a great deal

I've been looking at your site several times during this thread and I have yet to see a problem as a user [IE8/XP]

At the moment it seems to work very well

browsers are not the only things that have cache - do you use a proxy server [or does your ISP ?]
    Hi, thanks for your reply :-)
    I think perhaps the reason why it;s looked right to you, is that i havn't made any changes lately. Re the proxy server cache, the thing that stears me away from that thinking, is that, when i publish, the fact that the site on the user side comes thru perfectly, AFTER they either refresh their browser, or delete their browsing history, and then a perfect site comes thru, tells me, that a perfect looking site was published ... it's lying perfect (in design), on the server side ... but what lacks is an instruction, within that perfect looking design, is a command to tell a users pc, not to any way, refer to any previous cache, pertaining to this website. I understand why cache in essence is there, its to make websites appear quicker in front of one. I just am trying to find what the solution is so that i can make weekly chnges to my website, without having to contact every person who has looked at my site, and tell them to use the F5 key, or to delete their browsing history. I'm thinking very deeply about all this now .... i'm trying to figure out where the shortfall is .... in a later post i said it's Xara Web Designer's shortfall .... i see it as a shortfall becasue it would be great if evrytime i published, i saw on a users computer, what i see in front of me in my design. Then again, the cache in peoples PC's, could be what's causing these problems, BUT, i would love it if Xara had a way of over ruling the users pc of caching ... simply for those people who make many changes, regularly, to their site. I mean, how do sites like google, etc, which are changing by the second, in apearence, how do they then show on our pc's without anyone having to ever press F5 or delete browsing history. I expect this from Xara Web Designer 6, yet im not expereincing that now. There's got to be a way :-) Thanks for your input and help :-)
    Last edited by Glennn; 15 February 2011 at 10:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ckh View Post
    Microsoft actually states for refreshing, use ctrl-F5 to force the refresh from the website. I normally hold down the shift key and click the refresh icon to refresh it.

The web designers I know all use this trick and I often tell my hosting customers, that's what they need to do when they make changes and can't see the results, they often think they uploaded to the wrong directory.

It's a very poor practice to put the non-cache metatag in the header. Browsers cache for a reason, as stated earlier in the thread, to speed up loading. It doesn't matter what software you use to create the site, it's going to be the same.
    Thanks for the reply :-) gleNN

Quote Originally Posted by covoxer View Post
    It's fairly simple to avoid this problem in WD6. All you have to do is to re-export your site right before you publish it. For this, you have to keep a copy of the previously exported version of your site, or download it from your FTP, using FTP client.
    So, as you have made your changes to the site design and are ready to publish, first do "Export Website" and select the location of your previously exported site (select your previously exported index.htm file). It will ask to overwrite it, click yes. After this, publish your site the usual way.
    Following this simple rule will remove any risks of the image filename conflicts. All the new or altered image files will get unique names, never used in this site before, and all the unchanged images will keep their old names.
    This will also reduce your uploading time and traffic if you have introduced only minor change to the site, as only the altered files will be actually uploaded, not the entire site.

Hope it helps.
    Sir. And i call you Sir out of respect. THIS, may very well solve this. I will certainly try it. It makes sense to me what you are saying. Thank you for your input :-). I shall get back to you :-) Thank you for your help

Quote Originally Posted by w00dy View Post
    ckh... Can I just say that I use DP6 for just about everything out of choice but also have the latest versions of WebPlus and WYSIWYG WebBuilder and neither display this little quirk that occurs with WB6/DP6. It'd be interesting to know what John (covoxer) has to say about no cache tags,etc.
    Thanks for the reply :-) gleNN

Quote Originally Posted by beretgascon View Post
    I haven't read all of this thread but you could, if you wanted to, put this little javascript snippet somewhere on the page (in a placeholder obviously):

Code:
    <a href="javascript:location.reload(true)">Not displaying properly? Refresh this page</a>
    You could either leave it there permanently or just until you resolve the problem. I do think, however, that this is most likely an ISP or proxy cache problem.

You could also set your own browser to not cache any pages:

http://www.wikihow.com/Clear-Your-Browser%27s-Cache
    Thank you for your reply :-) gleNN
    PS, re server cache ... the website comes thru perfectly once a computers internal cache is cleared, that's why i dont think its on the server side? Only once browsing history or refreshing on the users computer is done, then the site come thru perfectly, which tells me it lies there perfectly? Would be interesting to hear yr thoughts on this. Thanks :-) gleNN

Quote Originally Posted by Glennn View Post
    Thank you Bjornkn :-)
    Bjornkn, i tried using F5 now and it didn't work to fix it from my side :-(
    Just a question, you said i could tell Xara to rename the main page.
    Could you eplain to me how i would do that, step by step.
    As i sit here now, ive tried just about everything that everyone has suggested, and it hasn't worked :-(.
    Another question, if i publish using filezilla, sometimes a block comes up that asks me if i want to overwrite phn files? do i say overwrite, or what should i say? i would think yes, but what would you say? thanks so much. gleNN

JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64

Did covoxers solution, with always exporting locally first, solve your problem?