Hi Dave

The problem could be your monitor calibration vs the reality of printing. Obviously the 1800 is a high quality photo printer, what is it 8 colors? and should be able to print really great color. But most monitors are set very bright and so the colors are almost unrealistic. There are hardware/software solutions for calibrating your monitor and co-ordinating the monitor to your printer.

I wrote a review several years ago for one of the Pantone professional monitor calibration products. I was stunned to see the result of the calibration. My bright white page after calibration looked dull and dingy. But one of the techs who was helping me said most monitor manufacturers set their brightness way too high to make the screen and colors look brighter.

The true test is to find something to compare the printed output with. Like one of those color cards used to calibrate scanners.

But the bigger question is, is the photo convincing? If you show it to someone who has not seen the version on your monitor will it look good? Sometimes this is the best test.