Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Have Xara Designer Pro 6, what is Magix Photo Premium?

Hi,
    I've been shopping for a raster image editor (currently using PaintShop Pro X3) and came across Magix Photo Premium. (I understand Magix bought Xara in 2007). There are virtually no reviews on the software but from the promotional info it looks pretty good.

The interface is very much like Xara Designer Pro 6 and changes are non-destructive to the original image. Photo Premium isn't listed on the Xara website but is on the magix.com website. The Magix website lists Xara Designer Pro as a product. Cost for Photo Premium is $129 and there sure seems like a lot of overlap between Designer 6 and Photo Premium.

Is anyone using Magix Photo Premium? Any thoughts on it as a raster editing and photo enhancing tool for the serious amateur photographer? Comparison to PaintShop Pro X3 or Photoshop?

thanks,
    -Tony

Default Re: Have Xara Designer Pro 6, what is Magix Photo Premium?

Hi Tony

If Magix has the same policy as Xara you can download a free 30 day trial version. The best way to see if this is the product for you is download a trial and have at it.

Thanks Gary,
    Ah yes, there is a 30 day free trial. Have just loaded it. Turns out Photo Premium is a collection of tools including Xara Xtreme 5, Magix photostory on CD & DVD, Magix Xtreme Photo Designer 7, Magix Photo manager 9, Reallusion Face Filter Studio 2 SE, online album tools, remote control and screen sharing, and Magix 3D maker. Total installed size is a bit over 1GB.

It's a comprehensive collection for quick photo enhancement and making scrap books and greeting cards and sharing on the Internet. However, my need is photo enhancement to stretch histograms, adjust tones, bring out luminance, mask areas for dodging and burning, etc. So my search continues for a good raster editor with abilities similar to PhotoShop but more affordable.
    Last edited by tonyw; 30 November 2010 at 04:59 AM.

Photoshop Elements 9 might be worth looking at.
    Joe