Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default zooming out quickly starts photoshop up

Hi again,

I use XX pro 4.01.5601 CD, and yes, I will upgrade one of these days, but in the meantime, just wondering if you could help me fix this glitch:

If I have a photo selected and have zoomed down into it, and then wish to use my shift key/right mouse button to zoom out, when I click those buttons twice to zoom out, Photoshop starts up, and I’m now in Photoshop editing mode. It happens every time, whether I want Photoshop or not.

PS – it only happens when I click those zoom buttons twice in a row quickly. If I do it very slowly it doesn’t happen.

Default Re: zooming out quickly starts photoshop up

in that version - fast double clicking a photo will automatically open up your chosen bitmap editor [which you have set in options to be photoshop it would seem]

no way round this except to not fast double click

or alternatively disable the external bitmap editor [leave the field blank in options]

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ss4.gif 
Views:	107 
Size:	3.7 KB 
ID:	77476
    Last edited by handrawn; 03 November 2010 at 09:27 AM. Reason: add screen shot
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Thanks for that info Steve, and for the screen shot.

I'll probably disable that function then, but before I do, when you say the part about clicking the photo, is it meant to include shift/right button click (zoom out)? I knew if I clicked it a couple of times fast with the left button it would happen, but didn't know it included other variations with the mouse.

Hi

I just checked in version four

is it not shift middle click to zoom out and ctrl middle click to zoom in ?

have you used something to change the defaults - right click should bring up a menu... [maybe you do not use a wheel mouse?]

and yes - I can get right click to open the bitmap editor sometimes, but its not consistent mostly its the menu, so it may well be a glitch/bug....
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Back in September I had a similar problem where I would come back to my computer (home office, just me) and Photoshop would be open as well as my Canon Scanner interface. Trying to close scanner would cause a grinding noise in the scanner (OUCH), I would have to hit the scanner power switch. Don't know if it was Xara related, but I always have Xara open. I don't use Photoshop, I use PSP7, and never did find the cause. To save my scanner I uninstalled Photoshop. No problems since. Maybe a Photoshop ghost?

Jim

Or your cat?

No cat, no one else around.

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    Hi

I just checked in version four

is it not shift middle click to zoom out and ctrl middle click to zoom in ?

have you used something to change the defaults - right click should bring up a menu... [maybe you do not use a wheel mouse?]

and yes - I can get right click to open the bitmap editor sometimes, but its not consistent mostly its the menu, so it may well be a glitch/bug....
    I didn't change anything but you have helped me Chris - when I use ctrl and the wheel I can zoom in and out, without opening up PS, so I'll use that function instead. Pretty soon I'll upgrade to the latest XX.

In the meantime, thanks for the help.