Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Off-topic

Hybrid View

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I won't explain anything to you as your reaction and reasoning is rather emotional than rational. I won't post anything anymore in this thread, I promise. And btw. I hope you will enjoy the upcoming bomb(astic) show live on CNN. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, I may be a little emotional right now but I think my logic still makes more sense than the bumper sticker logic I keep reading. It is very insulting to say we would enjoy seeing the U.S. retaliate. And btw, I watch FoxNews. It is a real shame the rest of the world doesn't get Fox.

I'd like to add my condolences to anybody who has friends or relatives caught up in yesterday's events.</p>
    <hr>

As a moderator's aside, please avoid commenting about other people's religious beliefs. This is never an appropriate place for such a discussion and given the likely cause of what happened, it's a particularly bad idea today.</p>
    Regards - Sean
    Regards - Sean

Klaus.......keep your Atheism to yourself for a while.........you can proselytize some other time

God help us

My condolences and prayers go to everyone
    involved. I will never understand the mentality
    of such people.

Brian & family.

I am agnostic, I do not know whether to beleive or not. At times like this I hope that there is salvation for those that died so needlessley, and that there will be retribution for those that killed.

However, I still find it hard to beleive that a God such as the christian image, would allow this to happen.

I have no answers, as does no-one. I simply have to beleive in the inherent goodness of the majority of the poeple on this planet, and that it is this that will allow us to get through this dark period, and will allow us to get through any future troubles.

I have only one last thing to say; bringing death to more innocent people is not the answer. Lets not be hasty with our retaliation.

Michael Ward
    http://LeighCenturions.net

Gary and Allison are still unaccounted for?

I hope it's because everyone is using phone lines for important stuff like organizing logistics of searching for and rescuing survivors. And organizing the medical teams and clean up crews.

. . . .

Steve,

It's not a matter of Klaus being open or closed minded. The beautiful thing about respect is that it can apply to even those people who think differently from you. Reasonable people can disagree.

Klaus is simply being pragmatic. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] You know Klaus has never minced words before. No point in him starting now. Maybe Klaus could have said things more delicately but that wouldn't be his style.

"There is no monopoly of common sense on either side of the political fence" -- Sting

The truth is vast. No one person should be so conceited as to think that they have a grasp of it all.

Be safe, y'all.

Athena

[This message was edited by T. Athena Hatton on September 11, 2001 at 21:30.]
    Athena
    Our thoughts are bounded by words. The quality of those thoughts is largely determined by the words that compose them.

Ross:

The concern in your comments seems evident to me. I am semi-retired (mostly not working now) so I have spent many, many hours watching and listening to the on going events.

In addition my future income will be derived from investments in the market and I’m waiting to turn 59.5 (real soon now) to begin to collect on some of it. So this is very personal for my wife and me. The Asian markets dipped when they first opened but leveled off without any significant changes and the dollar is actually firmer against both the euro and the yen today.

OK some points to share: Two days ago I saw an insurance investment officer interviewed. He said the biggest insurance companies in the world are involved in this issue ( about 5 or 6) and they will be able to meet the claims with no, he actually said zero, chance of going bankrupt. He estimated the cost to be around $15 Billion US. The biggest man made claim before this was about $750 million US for the LA riots.

The largest amount in recent history was the hurricane in south Florida which was an actual claim that paid $15 Billion US as well. This amount was paid with no serious effect on the rates or the insurance companies - but the most interesting part for me is the following: Southern Florida’s economy dipped immediately after the disaster struck but with all the money poured in and construction activity etc. etc. it very quickly increased to the point were Florida has the 2nd or 3rd best economy in the States! NY will have insurance, government, corporate and private money pouring in.

Some facts known with respect to removing the debris are:
    10,000 TONS removed as of Thursday afternoon! Inspite of continuing bomb threats that cause continuing painful stoppages of the efforts.

The collapse of a third building with the threat of several more (3) buildings triggering newly installed motion sensor alarms.

Hand to hand bucket removal of debris so as to not further injure any survivors that might be found with listening devices.

When other countries have major earth quakes the US sends specialized teams to help dig them out so I’m guessing what we are doing in NY is the best possible approach.

I have this message from the Corel Ventura 8 newsgroup posted by Allan Shearer & Bob van Durren on Tuesday 11th September at 14:54, it specifically mentions Allison Moore is safe as is everyone already at Corel World (though no specific mention of Gary, but according to the Corel World agenda he was due to give a talk on Tuesday so I am sure he is safe as well.)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Hi Everyone

Of course, all of us here at CorelWorld are OK ... however, due to the fact
    that the departing airport was Boston, Logan ... that's w-a-y too close to
    home and has introduced a very uncomfortable, scarey feeling. Many are
    shaken up, but we're all comforting one another --- it's nice to be in the
    midst of friends during such a terrible tragedy.

Allison Moore is from NYC, and she's already here ... safely. VERY nice to
    see her and meet her for the first time.

In fact, being on the East coast this year we're seeing a number of new
    faces, but old names! ... that is, familiar names from the newsgroup (and
    mailing list --- had to get that in there, since I'm typing this on Bob's
    computer <g>), and now finally being able to put a face to the name --
    including Stilman Davis from 'cross the pond; Welcome Stilman! :-)

Anyhow, I'm sure there will be a delay for some of the Ventura folks
    arriving for the second half of the conference.

Thanks very much for inquiring. We'll keep you all posted on any news,
    etc.... during the remainder of CorelWorld.

Allan Shearer and Bob van Duuren
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just to add that I am totally shocked, My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Peter
    The style challenged Pete'sCrypt

It's interesting that the emotions expressed in this forum follow a predictable pattern seen in the wider world, especially (and understandably) the US. Disbelief leads to grief which turns to anger and a desire for revenge. Given that the terrorists took 18 months or more to plan the operation, does it not occur to anyone that they might have foreseen a retaliatory strike? My guess is that they're counting on it. The collateral damage could be much more than a few Afghani civilians.

Regards - Sean
    Regards - Sean

Ed Nadie: "I've come to see this illness as a paradigm for the human condition of not knowing; and to view inflexible certainty as inversely related to epistemological awareness."

That's a skeptic's view of "the human condition" - and denies the impossibility of anyone really knowing any truths about reality. It regards "inflexible certainty" as kind of illness, and denigrates the epistemological awareness of anyone who can *prove* with certainty the basis for his convictions.

Need I say that I disagree?

I, too, have done some studies of schizophrenics, and have a close friend who works with them. For an absolutely excellent - and fascinating - book on this topic, read "Modernism and Madness" by Louis Sass.

K
    K
    www.klausnordby.com/xara (big how-to article)
    www.xaraxone.com/FeaturedArt/kn/ (I was the first-ever featured artist in the Xone)
    www.graphics.com (occasional columnist, "The I of The Perceiver")