Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Question From photo to sketch

First - I'm really new at this - and I'm sure i'll use wrong context - so here's what i'll need to get done.
    I have photos in black and white (or greys if you like ) of cutlery - that i need to change into a sketch-like item rather than a photo. I've been around a lot of the tutorials and helps - without finding the right one... I'm so sure it's there - I'm just not sure what 'tools' to look for.
    Can anyone point me to a tutorial - or otherwise give me a hint of 'how to' ?
    ...and I know thanks are already in place... regards Kari

Default Re: From photo to sketch

Welcome to TalkGraphics Kari

This Xara Xone tutorial might help http://www.xaraxone.com/tutorials/sep06/

Even the most complex illustration is nothing more than a series of short steps. The trick is to get the steps in the correct order.

Hi Kari,

Well sketches can be in a vast range of styles including photo-realistic (http://www.crookedbrains.net/2010/06...-drawings.html)

But I guess you want a rougher sketch look for your cutlery. Perhaps you might get away with filters which might apply a combination of contrast, edge finding, paper texture and shading lines but the trouble with filters applied to a photograph is they can look like photographs with filters applied.

Sketches tend to have mistakes, wonky lines, too dark shadows, perceived elements that aren't actually there (photo-wise). Since cutlery is fairly simple to re-draw you might benefit from Gary's suggestion to redraw them although the technique he suggest will give a technical drawing look rather than a sketch.

You could, alternatively, trace over the photo - well scribble really trying to keep within the boundaries of the elements in the photo and try a combination of transparencies keeping the photo and scribbles combined.

Perhaps you just want a line drawing (is this a wedding invite?) that is delicate lines indicating the cutlery - a light line drawing can also be considered a sketch. Drawing some profiled lines over your photo is probably the best method in this case. However, I'm sure there are better artists and better designers on the forum who can give you their techniques.

The attached picture was done by removing colour, adding contrast, applying a squashed cloud texture to simulate brush strokes and adding a few hand drawn lines to add elements that were lost in the process. It's not the best method or the best subject but perhaps passable in some situations.

Sadler
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sketch_bike.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	92.1 KB 
ID:	76859  

Having not seen the cutlery image you have, I grabbed one from the web.

Here I've used two methods, described in the attached .xar file.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	From photo to sketch.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	36.1 KB 
ID:	76860  
    Attached Files Attached Files

I'm thrilled :-) can't wait to work my way through these - exactly what I was looking for - thanks to all 3 of you!
    Just a little add on information - the use for this is to show various types of cutlery - such as steak knife, butter knife and the works - without putting emphasis on the design part - rather the functional part - and I expect the 'drawing look' will allow for this. Thanks again - This is much appreciated .... Kari