Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Cant import Xara web files to cpanel?

I did my first site in Xaraweb and am told by Hostgator that .web files cant be imported thru cpanel: ?? Im sure lots of Xara users are publishing thru cpanel- can anyone tell me what to do : need to redo site using another software? Im a total novice and love Xweb- but... here's the gatorchat response.Appreciate anyone's guidance.
    (06:19:17 PM) Cynthia Mo: The .web file is there, but not readable; you'd have to find a way to convert it to .html or .php to make it usable! The WEB file type is primarily associated with 'BlackWidow' by SoftByte Laboratories. BlackWidow is a web site scanner, a site mapping tool, a site ripper, a site mirroring tool, and an offline browser program. .web files are not immediately usable when uploaded as a site.

Default Re: Cant import Xara web files to cpanel?

add: I tried to publish it directly via Xweb's publish command and it got rejected. I was using this as https://gator.1234.hostgator.com:5678/ as the ftp address - numbers are substituted. is there a way to convert to html and simply copy the file into cpanel?

When you export the file to a folder on your computer it exports as .htm If you already use an ftp program, upload the files from there No point uploading the .web, just save it in an appropriate place
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64

Thanks Neodeist...1am in the UK?? Wow- thanks for that- ive done it and have it in cpanel in the html public file- i guess ill work with them to understand why i cant see it yet at the web address. Is there a trick to doing the ftp setting to get everything to publish out automatically via Xweb? I put the cpanel http address in Xweb- think thats right

No problem, I make up my own time zones as I go along The ftp address is usually in this format:-

ftp.sitename.com

As for getting it to appear on-line, you should delete the index file that was there.

Hope that helps
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64

thanks nd

In your case the files need to be uploaded to the FTP address your web host determines. Sometimes the FTP address is www.sitename.com. Sometimes it is a DNS address which consists of four groups of numbers. It really varies from ISP to ISP.

But be sure that your file is named index.htm or index.html and that you also upload your index_html_files folder to the same directory.

The web browser will automatically look and load any page named index.htm or index.html. And if you have an index file in your root directory, you only need to use your website address, e.g. www,mysite.com

For a cPanel account, the ftp host name can just be the domain name. domain.com or ftp.domain.com or the IP address would all work. I have a client that has a hostgator account and normally use either the domain name or the IP address for ftp access. The username/password for ftp is the same as your cPanel username/password.

The files need to be uploaded to the public_html folder or a subdirectory in the public_html directory. The public_html directory would be the 'webroot' directory. When you first connect, you'll be in the "home" directory which contains the mail folders, logs, tmp, public_ftp along with the public_html directories. The home directory isn't accessible by a visitor so the files shouldn't be upload there.

The .web extension isn't indicating that it will work on a website, but, is an extension that Xara uses to indicate file association with its program.
    Chris
    LotsMoreHosting.com

CKH- Thanks a lot for taking the time to be so clear- I really appreciate that- Gotta say Im pretty frustrated and now just going to scrap the Xara site I built and use the Plex web builder instead. I did copy in an html file rom XW to cpanel, that didnt work. I then did succeed in sending the site files in via the XW publisher, but HG tell me it was just a number of random images and not the right html. I thought publishing would do everything easily and correctly. They then said code needed to be added in the web access folder. That left me with a single web page with a line thru it and an image shadow. Im a total non=-tekkie and this is too frustrating. At least in this case I havent found Xara web to be a simple "no-programming needed" solution. I loved the ease of making the site. But getting it up on the server just is a bit too complicated. Thanks so much for your help!

Just a note to say that I got the site up and running and it looks very good. It was not easy for a newbie, but the hostgator people were pretty patient and helped me make adujstments to a couple of references and that did the trick. I chose Xweb because I didnt want to use the sitebuilder templates and wanted more flexibility. Im a little concerned about making any revisions at all to the site, but with a little education on cpanel I will probably be able to do it. Thanks to the excellent forum support!