Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: MP4 thumbnail?

Default MP4 thumbnail?

Sorry if that has been covered, I'm new to Xara Web Designer. Love the software so far!

I have embedded an MP4 video into my webpage and it works fine - but when the page is first loaded, the video appears as only a white box with the play arrow. Is there a way I can use an image ("thumbnail") instead of the white box?

Default Re: MP4 thumbnail?

Take a screen shot of the movie when it plays and place it on your page 'behind' the MP4 placeholder.
    Last edited by steve.ledger; 31 July 2010 at 08:41 PM.

Great, thanks. Got it work in IE, but the thumbnail won't show up in Firefox. Any tips?

Please add wmode="transparent" to the <embed tag like this:

<embed src="index_html_files/standAlone_omk.swf?url=intro 8_1.flv&amp;sound=true&amp;loop=true&amp;tooltip=t rue&amp;autoplay=false&amp;swfborder=true" wmode="transparent" quality="high" bgcolor="#FFFFFF" width="100%" height="100%" name="standAlone" align="middle" allowScriptAccess="sameDomain" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" />
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wmode.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	35.1 KB 
ID:	75005

Worked perfect, thank you! One last question and I'll shut up. The MP4s seem to need to "pre-load" before it can be played - is there a way to let it play streaming so that playback starts when the site visitor clicks play?

This works great! Now what I would like to see is when the clip ends it doesn't freeze at it's last frame, but
    returns to it's orignal state [frame 1 ?] or somehow unloads.

If this can be done it will once again reveal the opening 'screen shot' thumbnail...

Thanks for any assitance...
    minstrel
    ...the best is yet to come!