Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hello,

has someone some experience with Xara X and Athlon processors? I will update my system and after seeing very positive reports about the use of my other favorite program Newtek "Lightwave 3D" with Athlon I hesitate becuse of the much lower price of Athlon by my reseller!

Thank you very much in advance.

ivan

Hello,

has someone some experience with Xara X and Athlon processors? I will update my system and after seeing very positive reports about the use of my other favorite program Newtek "Lightwave 3D" with Athlon I hesitate becuse of the much lower price of Athlon by my reseller!

Thank you very much in advance.

ivan

Ivan,

I have been using AMD processors for the last 3 years or so and most recently a 700Mh Athlon Socket A processor, motherboard is an ASUS A7V. I also use Windows NT4 SP6a. I haven't experienced any hardware or application incompatibility problems at all - I mostly use Xara X, Paintshop Pro, Borland C++ Builder and Dreamweaver.

hope this helps.

Brian

I also use NT4 SP6A without any problem with Xara X. Thanks also concerning your mother card; I experienced also ASUS cards in the past without trouble.

Friendly,

ivan

I've also used AMD's chips for the last 3 years or so. I have two PCs, one with an 850MHz Duron chip and the other with an 850MHz Athlon Thunderbird chip.

They run Windows 98SE and Windows 2000 SP2 respectively, and both run happily. I've only got Xara X on the Athlon machine at the moment, and it is very fast.

I have 256MB RAM on an Abit KT7-RAID motherboard. I'd say that the biggest factor in keeping the PC fast is the hard drives in RAID0 configuration - if you get the chance to do it in your own PC, it's worth it.

I've got 2 IBM Deskstar 60GXP drives and could really feel the increase in speed in all applications as soon as they were installed.

I'd have no hesitation in recommending an Athlon for your PC either

Hi ivan,

Jan of this year I upgraded to an AMD Athlon 750MHz on an ABIT KA7 Mobo with 128MB RAM, on Windows98. Runs very well!

I'm running Xara X (and all my other software) on two Athlon computers without any difficulty.

One is an Athlon Classic 500MHz (128mb RAM) that's about 18 months old in its present configuration. The other is an 800MHz (256MHz RAM) that's almost a year old.

I heartily recommend Athlons over Pentiums. You get a lot more for your money.

Allison

Ivan,

I recently bought a new PC that came with an AMD Athlon 900Mhz and 128MB RAM. It sure has made Xara run very fast compared to my old 100MHz PC.

Soquili [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

I had more satisfaction with my PII 400 than with the twin 300 I had previously because NT was not so well adapted to multiprocessors. With some programs my system freezed very often with the twin 300 but I never had problems with Xara 2.
    But for 3D rendering this is interesting to have a very fast processor if you don't have a multiple one and because of that I was interested to know something about "Athlon" compatibility.

Now I am convinced this is a good choice!

Thanks again and very friendly yours,

ivan

Very happy with my Athlon 600 (bought March 2000). Athlons are also a great choice for digital audio because of their superb floating point performance.

Peter</p>

Peat Stack or Pete's Tack?</p>