Alan, et al,

Please read, or re-read as the case may be, my response to the thread Rik started on this very subject several months ago, Re: Page Units.

For those that want the condensed version and don't want to click on the thread/post links above, Xara software has no idea what any 'units' are besides millipoints. Every other unit of measure (cm, in, mm, yd, mi, km, ft...) is converted from millipoints to whatever measuring system you like to work in based on what you've set up and saved in your document. If you like to work in a certain unit of measurement, change the settings appropriately, and then save the document as a template making sure to check the box to make it the 'default template'. You can't get much easier than that. Then every time you open up Xara 'whatever' the units are set, exactly, to your preference.

I set up a default template way back when I was using Xara Xtreme 3 (approx. 2 years ago) and except for a few minor tweaks, signature and named color samples, I'm still using the same template in Xara Designer Pro 6. I just make sure I copy the template from the previous versions folder to it's equivalent folder in the new version, open the document, then re-save it as a template making it the default. Close the application and restart it to make sure I didn't miss a step and I'm ready to start drawing. This takes less than 2 minutes and I don't have to worry about working in other units unless I want to or until a new version of the software is released.

How can something so simple be so difficult???

Set 'em, make a template, then forget 'em,
Harry