It has been a long time since I have posted here on TG, partly because I have been spending a lot of time on photography. However, my recent purchase of XDP6 has re-awakened my interest in this great forum.

I would very much agree with Steve's recommendations above. With regard to Bill's point about using UV or other clear filters to protect your lenses' front elements, this is a hotly disputed topic in DSLR land. The problem some photographers identify is that a clear filter can, under certain conditions, cause veiling glare that will affect the quality of your photos. However, lots of people say this has not been a problem for them. The best recommendation I could make would be to remain aware of the possibility of glare, and see for yourself if it is a problem. In conditions where the lens' front element has a high probability of getting scratched, such as a windy beach, a filter is definitely a valuable commodity. For general lens protection, it is also a good idea to keep the hood on your lens when in use (this will protect the front element from colliding with things, and will also reduce glare and flare in your photos), and put on the lens cap when not using the lens.

There is a book that is universallly recommended reading for beginning photographers, called Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson. In addition, it can be very helpful to spend time on internet photography forums, such as the ones Steve pointed out, where more experienced photographers can provide insight and guidance. And most of all, have fun! DSLR photography is a whole new world compared to using a point-and-shoot.

Glen