Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

View Poll Results: What do you think about social network sites like Facebook?

Voters
186. This poll is closed
  • I love social networking sites. It’s a great way to keep in touch and a brilliant use of the web.

79 42.47%
  • Hate ‘em, hot air and self promotion. I know who my friends are, we actually talk to each other.

107 57.53%

Hybrid View

Default Re: What do you think about social network sites like Facebook?

Interesting insights into how Facebook uses user information in Ari Pariser's book The Filter Bubble. You can read a NY Times Book Review here. Also how Google decides what you want to see when you do a search and how things you look at on various websites appear in ads on other sites you visit.
    IP

It can go one way or another, depending on how wisely you make use of it. Marketing purists might scoff at anything internet related, but online marketing benefits really can't be denied.
    IP

To me they're just another tool. On Facebook I'll post a link to one of my new websites and the site statistics for that site will show a jump in traffic at that day/time. I also have a client that wanted to be able to add updates and current news to his site himself. He uses Twitter and I had him get a Facebook account. I then made a page the shows his Twitter and Facebook feeds in placeholders. He can say what he wants on those and they display automatically on his site without intervention from me. On the downside, there are people that ask questions on Facebook only to generate discussion/traffic without really caring what people have to say. Social networking isn't going away, might as well take advantage of it.

Jim
    IP