Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Text Object Hot Spot/Image maps

Hello, I would like to ask for some advice on an hot spot/image map type issue I'm having with text objects and Xtreme Pro 5.

I have multiple text objects which I've piled on top of each other and would like to set a html link for each text object. The font I'm using is not a browser standard font and so each text object is grouped so that it becomes a graphic. In order to attach a link to each text graphic I have used the Utilities | Web Properties | Link to page option with the 'Shape of object' check box clicked but links now overlap each other as if the 'Rectangle surrounding object' option is checked.

In the attached graphic example, clicking on parts of the text graphic 'tuesday' links to several of the other days such as 'monday' and 'friday'. If I were to use an image map in this instance and copy the image map code into my web page document I loose the image map code when I alter another part of the web site's pages using Xara Web Designer and then save and export as it overwrites the exisiting html document.

Could I get some advice as to what I need to do in order to have each day link accurately to a separate web page without the overlap?

Thank you.

Week days text object image:- http://img2.pict.com/08/e7/51/3196888/0/weeksdays.gif

Default Re: Text Object Hot Spot/Image maps

You need polygon image map areas, which Xara doesn't do.
    You can create hotspots using a 99% transparent shape on top of the area you want hot, then apply the link to the transparent shape. But you still have to consider the rectangular nature of bitmaps, transparent or not, they are still pixels that make up a 'rectangle'

Welcome to the Forum

sledger - By transparent shape, does that mean I would be able to use the pen tool to create the transparent shape by outlining the text object? I'll give this a go. Thank you, sledger.

Yes you can use the pen tool. But the transparent shape will still be exported as a rectangle bitmap.

A rectangle would be OK in this example providing that it keeps the angle, in which case I might just about get away with it.

In the interest of wrapping up the thread I've included an image of what I've interpreted by sledger's idea.

The shaded areas are the clickable layer (I've not completely set the transparency so that both the days and clickable layer are visable) which I'll attach links to.

Weeks days + clickable layer:- http://img2.pict.com/ab/81/c5/319723...kablelayer.gif

OK. That didn't work either because, as you said, Xara exports a rectangle and in doing so exports one which is larger than the text objects.

Quote Originally Posted by Highfield View Post
    A rectangle would be OK in this example providing that it keeps the angle, in which case I might just about get away with it.
    Bitmap bounding areas are rectangular in the normal hz/vr orientation.