Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default How to make a simple (single) pie wedge?

I've searched these forums and the only topics I found were from eight years ago. They involve merging a circle and a star, which then requires a lot of image manipulation to get the size and curve right. Is there a straightforward method with Xara 5?

Thanks for any help.

Default Re: How to make a simple (single) pie wedge?

-------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

A single pie wedge can be made using the Shape Tool.

Attached Files Attached Files
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

• Create the whole pie, of whatever diameter you choose, using the Ellipse Tool.
    • Using the QuickShape Tool, create a triangle. Stretch and rotate the triangle however you like.
    • With Object Snap turned on, drag the desired vertex of your triangle and snap it to the precise center of the circle/ellipse.
    • Group select both the circle/ellipse and the triangle, then Arrange > Combine Shapes > Intersect Shapes.

Thanks for those suggestions. I tried each of them. The biggest challenge is to keep the arc of the edge matching the overall "pie". The simplest way I've come up with is this:

1. Enable Snap To Grid and then set the grid to an appropriate size in order to control centering of the wedge.
    2. Create a circle of the diameter you want.
    3. Draw a straight line through the circle.
    4. Select both and then Combine Shapes >> Slice Shapes.
    5. Pull one half of the circle down and double click on it to activate it for Shape Editing.
    6. Click to add a point in the "center".
    7. Click anywhere on the arc to add a point to form the angular size you want.
    8. Delete the nearest endpoint on the arc.

Eight steps, but they're really quick and each is a clear visual step toward the result you want.

I may be overlooking something even simpler, but this gives the result I was looking for.