Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Grid Masks

Default Grid Masks

How do I create a 12 square grid Mask? I am using Paint Shop Pro X3. I am wanting to create a widescreen grid mask to be used in another program.

Thank you for your help,
    Kaye
    IP

Default Re: Grid Masks

Not quiet sure what you want In the form of a mask A grid is no problem but what format does this other programme use for masks?
    To paint a grid create a new image the size of one grid Not easy for 1920 divided by 12 or is that six across and 2 down?
    Any how having created a new transparent image the size of one grid Pain a line say 1 pixel or 2 down from top left to bottom left and another top right to top left. Now open your HD size image and select the flood fill tool and look in patterns in the materials pallet. The first one you see or maybe the second will be that small one grid image you made If you use that as the fill pattern at 100% you will paint a grid on the HD image.
    Do ask more questions if this is not what your looking for
    IP

Hi Trev,

Thanks for replying. I bet I'm not asking my question right. In the slideshow software that I use, I create slideshows in the 16:9 format. I'm trying to decide what size does my canvas need to be in Paint Shop. Just throwing out numbers (I have never created a new canvas) 1200 by 1200 would be perfectly square...would that translate to the 4:3 format? If so, what would I need it to be for 16:9? In the slideshow software, a mask has been created for the 4:3 format. It has 9 squares and it is called a grid mask. I'm thinking for the 16:9 format, you would have to have more squares to the width than length...for example four squares across and three squares down. I hope this makes more sense. If not, please tell me.

Thank you,
    Kaye
    IP

Wide screen 16 : 9 ratio will also depend of the Video format For Example HD will be bigger then DVD in Pixels .
    DVD is 720 pixels wide by 528 pixels deep in pal or 480 in NTSC
    Wide screen uses over SQ pixels for full screen playback something like 854 by 480 or letterbox where by the width 720 pixels stays the same but the hight is reduced to 405 pixels.

Most of our graphics use 4.3 as that's standard monitor /TV screen width to hight before wide screen came popular 4:3 = 400 x 300 pixels or 800 x 600 and so on
    So 1200 across will be 900 down in 4:3 ratio or 675 down in 16 to 9 ratio.

Any clearer:¬)

Not if you had a sq image and your software made it fit the screen it would distort it making things look wider
    IP

A Further thought You may not need to make a new grid. the 9 cell grid is based on the photographic and art, composition of rule of thirds. This where the main point of interest is placed about the point of intersection of the grid in one of the thirds . Be that left or right upper or lower intersection. Thats deemed to be a better balance. The rule of thirds is irrespective of image be SQ, tall and thin, wide and slim or cinamascope
    IP

Thanks Trev...that helped me understand.

Kaye
    IP