Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hybrid View

Default Re: Fantasy maps created using Xara Xtreme

Looking good. Just a thought, but how about making the surrounding levels a "Cretan" Maze pattern?
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64

Well, in a sense, they are.....a-maze-ing....sorry John, couldn't resist.....

Very nice GP.....
    Ed......:-)

All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you.
    -Gandalf (from Lord of the Rings) - Xara s/w - Xara Designer Pro X11

I'll forgive you Ed
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64

Thanks, guys!

I didn't want to add walls, as I was trying to make the main map very stark, more fitting a realistic henge on the plains type structure. It looks like something you might see on a Celtic isle somewhere.

I had fun with this one.

GP
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	menhir-dance-thumb.jpg 
Views:	506 
Size:	22.9 KB 
ID:	74232  
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 12 July 2010 at 04:51 AM.

Its been a long while since I posted, sorry about that. Its not that I haven't been designing new maps, its that I am currently working on my own RPG publication project serving as concept creator, designer, developer, cartographer, part-time illustrator, art director, and technical advisor. So much of the work is 'top secret'. The publication should be released sometime early February, with two more products to follow then a hardbound print compilation in the summer - so I've been really busy!

I may not have mentioned it earlier, I'm designing a roleplaying game setting and set of 3 adventuers for Pathfinder RPG, inspired by feudal Japan crosssed with Asian horror. Once published I will post some of the new maps at that time. The product is Kaidan: a Japanese Ghost Story. Some of my posted maps are for the setting.

Its kind of job security. Instead of waiting between cartography commissions, I become the publisher and demand large amounts of quality maps - really offering more maps than what competitors can afford. So its a win-win situation.

The first adventure has been finished writing as of today, and it going to editing next, it should release sometime in the next two weeks...

Anyway, just a post to note, I'm not dead, or have forgotten TalkGraphics, just buried in my own project for a bit longer.

Michael Tumey

Default A Bridge Crossing map done in Xara

Here is the latest map for the above named project, a bridge across a small river in a mountain pass, where an encounter with a hebi-no-onna (demon snake woman) will occur. A trap causing the middle section to fall into the river as the adventure party is trying to cross. Unseen in the map is a lost salt-water crocodile awaiting for fresh meat.

This of course combines a scanned hand-drawing given stain-glass transparency filter, then beveled and dropshadowed shapes placed beneath to give a sense of depth, and some depth in the water with varying stacked layers of transparent blue shapes.

Enjoy!

GP

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	daitengu-bridge-thumb.jpg 
Views:	1384 
Size:	67.7 KB 
ID:	79425

Default Re: A Bridge Crossing map done in Xara

I'd be interested in how you did your water treatment. Very nice.

John

Default Re: A Bridge Crossing map done in Xara

Looks great Michael. Keep up the good work.
    Visiting/participating in TalkGraphics since i/us (’97).