Hybrid View

Default 22nd October - W7 Day

Here it is

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7arrival.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	56.6 KB 
ID:	66931

A little french village east of Dallas, TX called Forney And now Austria and Germany too

Default Re: 22nd October - W7 Day

And, are we happy with it? I am usually an early adopter but I have stayed with XP because of the problems with Vista.

Eric
    I'm never wrong. I thought I was wrong once but it turns out that I was mistaken.
    Web Templates. My Beginner Video Tutorials
    My Club. My Album.
    My Other Album. My Tutorial.

Same as Eric here.
    John.

Post Re: 22nd October - W7 Day

Same, so I'm curious
    Marcia
    A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work unless it's open.
    Frank Zappa

Hope this post is updated with the results of W7...migration...as to compatiabilities with 32 bit and the 64bit systems..
    JmG

Some of us in the UK had it a day or so early.

My first PC to go over is a three year old Sony VGN-S4HP/B laptop running XP. I have upgraded it to 2GB memory but it is a bit tight on disk space. The difficulties with it were the display driver and a Freecom DVB-T usb stick. I have ended up with a beta driver for the display but it seems to be ok now. It starts briskly and Xtreme looks fine. If you have Norton Internet Security 2009, download the trial of 2010 and enter your 2009 licence no; it will then run till the end of that period. Generally W7 is nice and chatty - herlping spot problems and finding updates. Very impressed. 32 bit BTW

Three more machines to go... All Dell desktops. The oldest (4 years old) has been running the RC version of WIndows 7 just fine.
    Simon
    ------------------------------
    www.tlaconsultancy.co.uk
    www.bricksandbrass.co.uk

Hi,
    I bit the bullet and upgraded to Windows 7. I messed up slightly (but not a catasrophe). My question is when you run a programs setup file do you run it as Adminstrator or wait till the programs is installed then run the program as adminisrtator?
    Or does it matter?
    JimM

My question is when you run a programs setup file do you run it as Adminstrator
    Which program setup file Scotty?

Legacy software which needs to write settings to the Windows registry during the setup will need to be run as admin and possibly even compatibility mode.
    W7's security features are similar to Vista, so older software must be permitted to write it's registry keys.

Hi Steve,
    It was just a general question really...I have spent the better part of yesterday installing my programs and was just curious as to whether it made a difference in the actual programs 'rights' so far I have been right clicicking and using run as administrator option and thought that if I use the run as adminisrttor for the 'Setup' program if that would save the right click 'run as administrator option...no big deal I guess.
    Thanks for the reply.
    I did make a 'boo-boo' and used a restore option done by Acronis True-Image 10, and now I have to clean-up some programs that run under my old systems 'user' thingy.
    JimM

I've ended up installing my ancient Norton File Manager as the search is more reliable...

And teetering on the brink with reinstating XnView as Windows Live Photo Gallery is too slow to load....
    Simon
    ------------------------------
    www.tlaconsultancy.co.uk
    www.bricksandbrass.co.uk