Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Runtime Error opening big AI file

This is driving me nuts.
    I have Illustrator CS3 on a "run of the mill" XP machine. I've been using CS3 with no problem for a long time. Anyway, I'm trying to open a pretty big file (377mB) and it grinds and grinds and grinds (trying to open it) and then I get a "Runtime Error" message. When I look this upon on Adobe.com, they just talk about the error when trying to INSTALL Illustrator, but not on opening files. Any ideas why this file is causing this problem? Other files open just fine.
    Thanks in advance...
    IP

Default Re: Runtime Error opening big AI file

It is possible the file may be corrupt. Did you download the file? If so try downloading it again.

It also may be your system's resources are not up to handling that large file.

A "run of the mill" XP machine typically came with only 256MB of RAM or less. You may need to do a memory upgrade to a minimum of 1GB of RAM. I would recommend going to 2GB or even 3 GB if your machine can handle it.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update
    IP

Thanks for the advice, Bill.
    I transferred the file to my newer laptop (not that new though, also xp), and it took forever, but it opened. It is an overly complex design with lots of repeated hi res images with clipping paths and drop shadows...
    My desktop has 2gb of memory, but I'm not sure how effective it uses it...
    I've been waiting for Windows 7 to get a new computer... I'll hold onto this file until then and see if the new computer eats it up!
    So the verdict, anyways, is, my xp laptop struggles but can open the file... my desktop struggles and then has a Runtime Error...
    IP

Just shows you what happens over a period of time you collect programmes that eats up your system. Keep your new computer lean and mean and don't put in printer software that can eats into your system memory just download the drivers. Do the same for fonts keep your system fonts to a min.
    Design is thinking made visual.
    IP

I do have a LOT of fonts installed. I thought they just slow down opening Illustrator up. I didn't know they take up a lot of memory, but that makes sense. I should pare them down. But I'm also thinking that a new computer will be like day and night compared to my 4 or 5 year old current computer. Can't wait. It should be before the end of the year...
    IP

Qty of fonts is not a real issue in Windows for a while now.
    This was discussed some time back (I can't find the post right now). Many of us have thousands of fonts installed without any performance hit.
    Currently I have 2,143 fonts on this system.

From a google search
    Windows NT, 2000, XP, Vista, W7
    These have no limitation on the number of fonts which can be installed, although the boot time will be increased due to the requirement to read the information for all those fonts while the system is starting up.

Windows 95/98/Me
    You can install a maximum of approximately 1000 TrueType fonts in Microsoft Windows 95, Windows 98, and Windows Millennium. The exact number of TrueType fonts you can install varies, and depends on the length of the TrueType font names and file names.
    Installed TrueType fonts are listed in the registry and in the Graphics Device Interface (GDI).
    The Registry
    All font files are registered under a single key in the registry, and a registry key cannot exceed 64 KB in Windows 95. If font names average 20 characters in length and font file names average 10 characters in length, the maximum number of TrueType fonts you can install falls between 1000 and 1500.
    IP