Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Hybrid View

Default Re: Placing my request for the next version of Extreme

It's lovely that these other packages have an eraser tool [so does Combustion, as well as a far more useful vector-based magic wand tool] but Illustrator is something like 3 times the price [still half the price of Combustion] and none of them are anywhere near a suseful as Xtreme overall [even Combustion], so how is it relevant?
    Anyhoo, as to the original poster's little brain-snap, can someone tell me what you would use a GIF for in 2009, especially one with non-antialiased transparency? Has the man never heard of PNG? And in the context of what Xtreme is for and how it works, when would you need an eraser? Both issues seem related to things you might do if you have no idea what you are doing. He clearly has little idea how to elicit helpful responses on a forum, either.
    IP

I tire of these 'critiques' based on incomplete knowledge and understanding. There's very little that can't be done in Xtreme. Work with it. If dr why finds it inadequate then he should just forget it; use some other tool; or—RTFM before posting.
    Phil Thompson
    IP

Well, apparently there are things that I may have not figured out here, but I'm fascinated by the amount of invective contained in the above posts.

Silly me, I thought that features in simple programs were attainable in more sophisticated programs.

As if I never read the help files or tried to learn this application.

This forum seems to be more about abuse than assistance, and although I could say that I am making earnest attempts to learn this stuff, I am asking for things that I know about and if it's covered by things that I don't know about, perhaps we could explore that path.

Taking an image to Paint to erase a couple of screwheads worked great. What is the analog in Xara?

Neodeist's first reply seems like something I could use, if not intuitive ("crop" doesn't yield very much in a search of the help file). I certainly didn't see anything like that in the manual.

Soquili's mention of selecting colors in the export dialog didn't work when I did it. I expected it to work like it does in Corel, but it only removed random sections of the chosen field. Perhaps the selection process in Xara is too sensitive, and it was excluding gradations that Corel would have tolerated?

As for SS-kalm's kind explanation, that worked for the photo part of the item but not the fields attached to it, which is what I was aiming for. Irfan would have just done the crop.

In any case, I'm too old to be disturbed by a display of crowd hysteria as displayed here. I'm asking questions because whatever I wanted to look up wasn't in the instructions, or wasn't indexed so I could find it, and the things that I did try didn't work. I thought that certain features were attainable, if the authors just decided to put them in. Like a button to let us erase. Or a button to let us crop. Aren't these normal things for a normal person to want?

If there's a jerk here, I don't think it's me.

DW

PS There don't appear to be any actual smiles in the Smileys, does there?
    IP