Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default How to adjust kerning increments?

I'm hoping I can enlist the help of you friendly folks again...

I can see that you can manually kern text by holding the ALT+LEFT/RIGHT keys which is great. However, there seems to be a fixed increment for doing this. If I want to nudge by a single pixel, how do I do this? I tried ALT+SHIFT+LEFT/RIGHT and ALT+CTRL+LEFT/RIGHT (which to me were the obvious guesses) but no luck. I also tried adjusting the nudge value in options (from 0.04in to 0.01in) but that didn't seem to make a difference either. Can someone please fill me in?

Thanks! Cheers, -Jon.

Default Re: How to adjust kerning increments?

JLX, Select the part of the text you want to increase the tracking on and just type in the text, in integers, into the tracking text box (set at 999 in my screen grab below).

Tracking isn't measured in pixels but Ems/1000.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gif.gif 
Views:	206 
Size:	3.5 KB 
ID:	63860  
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    JLX, Select the part of the text you want to increase the tracking on and just type in the text, in integers, into the tracking text box (set at 999 in my screen grab below).

Tracking isn't measured in pixels but Ems/1000.
    I should have stated that I was looking for a keyboard shortcut. I do realize you can do it manually up there but it's so fast and easy to do it with the keys. Having to jump with the mouse is just more awkward. The ALT-Arrows jump by 50 I would just like to change that value so something more like 5.

Thanks though! -J.

Quote Originally Posted by Xara Xtreme 5 Help
    Kerning is measured in "ems" (enter values in 1/1000ths of "ems".) You can either type the kerning value in the text box, or click the arrows to nudge the values. From the keyboard you can increase or decrease the [kearning] by pressing "Alt + Right arrow", or "Alt + Left arrow". Each key press changes the tracking by 10/1000.
    It appears that there is no way to change the nudge increment. Perhaps using XaReg sports this capability?

Unless a (safe) option exists in the Windows registry - XaReg cannot change any native Xara program functions.

Quote Originally Posted by cursor View Post
    It appears that there is no way to change the nudge increment. Perhaps using XaReg sports this capability?
    Thanks again for the comments. I guess there is currently no way to adjust this value.

If any Xara programmers are reading this, please consider this a request to have ALT+CTRL+LEFT/RIGHT kern by the minimum increment for fine tune adjustments.

I also checked out XaReg. Although it doesn't adjust the value I'm currently interested in, it's very handy! Thanks Bill/Steve!

Cheers, -J.