Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Web Designer importing images wrong size

Dave,

It's in the XWD help file if you'd looked (under "Importing Photos" - oddly enough)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	InitialPhotoSize.png 
Views:	155 
Size:	12.6 KB 
ID:	63578

You been given decent answers, helpful answers. Continuing to complain about it is not going to change anything for this version.

That XaReg (Freeware by the way) was developed by one of the Mods and myself to help users tweak 'out-of-the-box' settings, is testament to the helpful nature of Talkgraphics members.

Quote Originally Posted by broomcroft View Post
    OK one last time...

If Microsoft or Adobe brought out a version of Word, Publisher or Photoshop, or indeed any other program from anyone else that resized images greater than 500 pixels and needed users to log into a product forum to, firstly find out about it and then to, by chance also find out there was a shareware utility program to correct this - I think there would be a few choice posts on the respective forums.

END
    Adobe does allow trial software. Microsoft makes it's money on using people to troubleshoot their software WHILE paying for it. Choice posts? Sure, because for the most part, people have already paid (BIG BUCKS) for the software.

If it's offered as a trial and you don't take advantage of it and find out it's limitations, it's on you, not the software. The company that offers trial software is offering you a way to see if you like it.....if you don't, just don't buy it, if you do, become a part of the solution, not the problem.

People on this site are looking for answers, and for my part they have been very cooperative, almost entirely without complaint. They are working together to overcome the limitations of (did I mention the program was only $49) XWD. There are some, I've seen some but the software functions perfectly and better than most in that price range and above. No software is everthing to any style it was created for.

Please just enjoy it or let it go.

Thanks,

Ed.......:-)

The purpose of the resizing of imported photos is so people do not accidentally create web pages using extremely large files.

Most digital cameras create photos that are larger than most monitor resolutions.

The resizing is a precautionary measure.

You cannot please all of the people all of the time.....
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Hi Folks

First post... I think this 500 pixel limitation still applies in WD6? Sorry I know it does cos I'm trying to re-create something I created in another app where I have created the images at the exact size and resolution I want...

Do I need to tweak the XaReg thing, or is there another way of doing this in WD6?

Cheers
    Peter

WD6 gives you an option when you import:

If you import a photo which is bigger than 1920 pixels wide (HD screen size) or high, you will be asked if you want to import a reduced sized version, instead of the full sized original. For web use you should rarely need your photos to be bigger than this size, so importing a reduced version is almost always desirable. Using reduced sized photos is recommended to keep the size of your design (.web or .xar) file down and to reduce the amount of memory used when editing and exporting your website.

Name:	import.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	14.6 KB 
ID:	71466

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    WD6 gives you an option when you import:

Name:	import.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	14.6 KB 
ID:	71466
    No option is displayed if you import a 800 x 260 @96 dpi banner. It just re-sizes it to 500 x 163 @ 153 dpi. Seems it increased dpi to reduce the physical size?

Cheers
    Peter
    Last edited by PeterO; 16 April 2010 at 11:09 PM. Reason: Put the right number in!

'Visually reduced' not physically. See the bitmap gallery.
    Also as quoted above, the prompt is displayed when the imported image exceeds 1920px.
    You can resize your page image to the same resolution as the original without loss via the info bar..
    However as stated by Xara you should rarely need your photos to be bigger than 500pixels.

This is well covered in this thread and the help file.

Welcome to TG by the way Peter

Well, in this instance I do want this/these images to be wider than 500. They've been designed specifically to be so. I can use the resize in the info bar as you suggest so thanks for that tip.

Is there a means of changing WD6 functionality so that it doesn't re-size images? i.e. Will the XaReg tweak work for WD6?

Cheers
    Peter

Yes, the XaReg utility is compatible with WD6

Many thanks. That does the trick for me.

Cheers
    Peter