Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hybrid View

Default Re: Suggested alternative to 3 time Activation Limit

Xcellent please be so nice and do a investigation by yourself about the costs of such a USB dongle (the costs per software license are important). Just in order to understand, why this is no option for a low-cost software like Xara Xtreme is.

Remi

Isn't the 3-time activation limit only for the download version? I thought I read somewhere here that the CD version wouldn't have that limit (and Xara will be shipping the CDs soon).

Quote Originally Posted by remi View Post
    Xcellent please be so nice and do a investigation by yourself about the costs of such a USB dongle (the costs per software license are important).
    US$24 , or US$25 here or EUR15.80 here. ("Steinberg Key" and "Syncrosoft" and elicensener is all the same thing). I have 3 dongles myself.
    Quote Originally Posted by remi View Post
    Just in order to understand, why this is no option for a low-cost software like Xara Xtreme is.
    Some examples of 'low-cost software' that comes included with Syncrosoft Dongle:
    Korg Legacy Collection - US$149 (dongle included)
    Rob Papen Predator - US$179 (dongle included)
    (There are tons of more examples out there of products including a protection key within their retail price)

Xara Pro - US$249 (no dongle, 3 x online activation only)

I have 3 dongles from various software packages i have purchased. 2 of the dongles are still in the original box since all the licenses are transferred to one dongle only. Once activated I just carry the dongle around and run the software from any other computer, more than 3 times on unlimited machines.

Quote Originally Posted by PixelDust View Post
    Isn't the 3-time activation limit only for the download version? I thought I read somewhere here that the CD version wouldn't have that limit (and Xara will be shipping the CDs soon).
    That would be ideal!! I really hope you're right to avoid any dongle or activation madness.
    Last edited by Xcellent; 04 July 2009 at 01:35 PM.

I can't see the CD versions not having an install limit... that would be very un-Magix like!

I use some database software that can be activated AND de-activated online, which is another solution but the problem with that system is that it uses your machine name and installation on another machine requires you to re-name that machine.

Genuine users don't tend to give away their software and install codes, I know that I wouldn't dream of it... I paid good money for it...so the current system is a bit irritating, given the fact that if one was so inclined, you could download a cracked version within minutes.
    "Second class fairway is better than first class rough!"

I don't think MAGIX will use USB-Dongles, because their goal is to sell most of their products through the Online channel (their Online Shop). It's much cheaper for a software vendor: No shipping costs, no packaging, no CD/DVDs, just a little bit costs for the webserver (costs for traffic is already included within the flat rate for the webserver). And if a customer have a problem with this, let him speak with the support and reset the Activation count. Easy like that.

Remi

You could look at it another way .... I've never heard anyone say that Xara has refused to reset their activation if requested, so is there a problem anyway?
    "Second class fairway is better than first class rough!"