Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Design Gallery takes 2-3 min to open

Just bought XX5Pro (upgrade from XXPro4)
    Installed and registered the software

I open XX5Pro and attempt to open the Design Gallery...
    The application just hangs for 2-3 mins...
    The Status bar says "28% Finding CD" then changes to 48% and then shortly after the Design Gallery finally opens and the application is once again responsive.
    Any idea why??

Default Re: Design Gallery takes 2-3 min to open

When I open the Design Gallery the status bar displays the message "Scanning Folders" and shows a progress bar.

That yours is showing a reference to a CD might indicate that you have added clipart from a disc at an earlier point and have since removed the disc from the drive? If this is the case, look for the Design Gallery folder that references your CD drive and 'remove' it from the list.

Not sure about this...

All I did was install XXpro5 from the download... I haven't used a CD for anything.
    I did click on the "Get Designs..." button and got some 'download folders' from xara.
    I have since removed them.
    In fact I removed all the folders from my design gallery.
    My Design Gallery is empty, but still takes 2-3 mins to open and the status bar says "Finding CD". This bug only happens with a "fresh" open of the application (that doesn't have the design gallery already open).
    Once I have the design gallery open, I can open it and close it normally.

What is it looking for that causes it to try to

That's a mystery then Greg especial since the CD's haven't been shipped yet.

The only folders created for me when 'Get Designer' is pressed are shown below.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	x5-get-designs.png 
Views:	157 
Size:	2.2 KB 
ID:	63018

Which version and build have you installed?
    I have the latest 5.1.0.9131 DL 23rd June 2009

I get the exact same folders...
    I since removed them.

I have the same application build... I downloaded the app on Jun 30.

I have found some more details...
    This slowness opening the design gallery only happens when I am connected to the internet. If I remove my connection, the design gallery opens instantaneously.
    Also... if I close XXPro5 with the design gallery open and then restart XXPro5, it takes 2-3 min to load (when I am connected to the internet). I assume it is doing the same "Finding CD" task. All I see is the XXPro5 startup screen. If I am not connected to the internet, XXPro5 opens guickly along with the design gallery. Something is happening across the internet when the design gallery is open.
    I have high-speed (3G) internet, so its not a slow connection issue.

In Options>>Internet check the cache is 4m or more.
    If this is zero, (or has been emptied ) then Xtreme will always check the web when you open the DG.

Also hit the Help button when the Options>>Internet dialog is open for further information about this area.

Thanks for all your helpful advice...

My internet cache is 4M and has not been emptied...
    So... I am not sure what is going on.
    The status bar saying "Finding CD", but the internet connection playing a role in all this is not encouraging.

I fear that now I am going to uninstall and reinstall to see if that fixes things...