Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

I use both embedded files and external links in various applications. There are definite benefits to using linked files, but there are definite pitfalls as well. One of the biggest is the trouble you can get into trying to clean up obsolete and unused files.

If there were a utility you could run that would read every file on a given partition and list, for a given file, any links to that file in any other file, then I might vote for linked bitmaps. ('Course, you might have to include multiple partitions in the list, depending on how you work.)

Otherwise, embedding is much safer in the long run. I vote no links.

Here is a good example why linked images are bad. One of the graphic artists in the office uses a drawing program with linked graphics. I recently migrated her files from 98 to XP. Because of the linked files she has to have 2 separate "my documents" folders. XP has it burried in the user files and 98 had it in the root (Different paths).

With the kind of stuff that goes on at Microslut, I would think linked files would be more trouble than they are worth to most people.

How would you share a file between 2 computer if the files are linked?

I concede that broken links can be a pain. As I have said before, even if it is implemented, I'm sure that it won't replace embedded files. You should still be able to embed your files if you so choose. As this is working now, there's no reason to remove it.

The solution would be to put the linked files into a path that won't change like on a file server.

Besides, how often do you migrate from 98 to XP? What graphic artist still uses 98? No current college that I can think of has 98 installed any computer lab. You can't even find a school that teaches graphics using 98 anymore. If I'm wrong on that, please tell me.

The issue of multiple profiles and multiple my documents folders can be easily resolved. You can point My documents to whatever path you want. You can't hold software manufacturers accountable for Windows indiosynchrasies.

People who still use 98 should have upgraded a long time ago unless all they do is word processing and email or they have very small requirements. If they can get by using 98 should simply continue to use what the have. Software manufactures aren't going to capitulate to Windows 3.11 for Workgroups users.

I still don't think Xara should worry about people still using 98 when designing their latest apps. I would venture to say that most professionals are either using 2000 or XP.

If a designer were to create a web page with html that points to graphics on his local hard drive, he'd still be able to see them even though the rest of the world cannot. We've all seen web pages like this. Is it the problem of Macromedia's Dreamweaver software that the designer doesn't understand that he needs to upload his images remotely? No, it's the designers responsibility to know what he's doing.

Macromedia makes Dreamweaver for people who know how to use it. I am not in favor of "dumbing down" software for people who don't understand how to use it.

Xara is intuitive software and in the right hands it can produce some really cool stuff. But without a manual or classes, the responsibility for learning how to use it lies with the user.
    Sheff
    My Site

Hi Sheff,

If you are talking kids out of college then you are right. There are graphic artists around who do not use the latest and greatest operating system. Some where creating art before there was computers even, others have found something they like and do not want to learn something new.

Some Artist will swear that there personal favorite application is the greatest, even tho it is not. (MAC users for example) If these artists crank out serviceable graphics on there bad software, what reason is there for them to change? It surely is not cost effective for the business.

Although I do not call myself a professional graphic artist, I do get paid to create art and much else besides. Personally, I use 98 on my machine at work. It does what it needs and "if it works don't fix it!". When I get a new machine I will probably have XP (or better) on there, to support the latest hardware. Gates is the only one who likes it when people upgrade to the latest OS for the sake of upgrading. But then, I ran Commodore 64/128 until the company folded. About the time the pentiums where first on the market. (My C128 would run circles around a 486!)

Bottom Line: In business, if the tool works you use it. If it does not, then and only then, you replace it.

What I like about Xara is that it pretty much can run on any hardware regardless of how old it is. If you're a user who has used old versions of Xara these will still run on older machines will older operating systems and create usable art without the huge overhead of a pricey machine.

Mac users, specifically print bureaus don't want to change because what they have is working for them. If your car can get you from point a to point b that's all you need.

I personally hate the XP activation feature. However, I have noticed that my machine runs better overall with XP rather than 2000. There really is no reason to change if what you have is working for you. The only real reason to change from 98 to XP or 2000 might be security features. But even those can be resolved by unplugging the network cable at night.

It is unfortunate this race of having to constantly upgrade machines to keep up with software. Generally, if you are going to get a new machine, don't buy top of the line. Buy a few rungs down as you won't that much difference. The cost savings will be worth it. If you're capable of it, build your own machine. Spend more money on memory rather than processing speed.

I've been around long enough to have seen a lot changes in computers. My first pc was an apple ][ clone built by a little Japanese guy working out of a basement in the Ginza. My first programming classes were done with punch cards rather than magnetic media which had not gotten to us at that time.

I had a commodore 64 as well. When the disk drive broke I switched to PC's. This was in the late 80s. I still have that C64 somewhere in the garage. I wonder if it still works...

But as we have wandered wildly off topic in this thread, I would still like to state that I definitely want a spell checker added to Xara.
    Sheff
    My Site

Okay, Okay.. Sheff,

I will give in to the spellchecker if you drop the idea of linked files... (matter of fact, you brought it up) http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/biggrin.gif http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/wink.gif

Hey, _I_ want the linked files, and badly!!! This feature has been around at least since 1990 on QuarkXPress for Mac, and it's totally invaluable in my current DTP tool, InDesign (I hope Quark dies soon, crappy app, crappy company).

And it would be the same in XX1: update your external bitmaps and VOILA - there they are in XX1, tweaked and scaled and in place. There are NO good reasons not to have linked bitmpas in XX1. "Broken links"??? It's the user's bloody job to keep track of where he keeps his files. We've been doing that FOREVER about ALL our files - why is this suddenly a problem with linked files? It's never been to me. But then, I know where I keep my Important Stuff. If you don't, I suggest you learn it. Or go back to stat cameras and paste-up.
    K
    www.klausnordby.com/xara (big how-to article)
    www.xaraxone.com/FeaturedArt/kn/ (I was the first-ever featured artist in the Xone)
    www.graphics.com (occasional columnist, "The I of The Perceiver")

how will you send it to a printer, or somebody else if all the pictures are linked. when a 40MB HD cost $200, linked files where great. Now they are not worth the effort. Bad idea, let it drop.

Links CAN be hassle, but they can also be very useful if the application has a thorough "Pack for Shipping" routine .... I've heard that InDesign's is good.

IF there were to be links, then I would like to see a LINKS GALLERY where the user could view the entire link path of each linked object, or manually modify the path if they wanted, or specify the paths to be relative to the Xara file, and have a pack and ship button.

Come to think of it, with a link function, then Xara would in essence have a way to incorporate symbols (of course you'd want an option to embed rather that link the symbol).

joroho
    I have been using Xara since version 2.8 (pre Corel) and have been on this forum under a different handle for 6 or so years. I am sorry I resorted to name calling but jens can be very vasty in his expert role. His talent has nothing to do with his ability to be polite.
    John, I realise jens has a language issue. However, the crack "creativity whistle, a web browser, a simple spreadsheet, a car maintenance scheduler, a shopping list generator, a moon phase indicator" indicates he knows enought english to be insulting.
    Xara has text tools, a spell checker is just another text tool. If you want a streamlined graphis only application then get rid of the text tools.
    J B