Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Size of Canvas

Default Size of Canvas

Hi,

I am drawing some clipart type objects that I will then use in Powerpoint. When I click "New" I get a huge canvas, but only need a small area as the object I am drawing is only 300 pixels wide. How do I get a smaller canvas so that when I export the drawing, I will not have an image the size of that large canvas?

Default Re: Size of Canvas

You can change the canvas size by going into the Utilities menu > Options > Page Size tab, and choose "Custom" as your page size and set it to whatever size you want. (To enter the size in pixels, type "300pix" in both fields).

Then, you can save your custom size page as a template by going to File menu > Save Template... Name it something like "PowerPoint".

Now, when you need to do something for PowerPoint, you can load that template (File menu > New > *your template name*) and have a small page.

Also, when you export, select all the objects you want to export and go to File menu > Export... and it will give the option to just save the selected items instead of the whole page.

Hope that helps!

Default Re: Size of Canvas

Hi dkgodfrey and welcome to the Forum

The size of your object has nothing to do with the size of the canvas, aka page size. That's a behavior associated with bitmap or raster editors such as Photoshop and Paint Shop Pro.

Xtreme is a vector editor. The objects you create in Xtreme can be any size. In fact, they can be almost infinitely resized. As PixelDust says, you can change your page size to suit. Alternatively, you can leave your page size alone and draw a reference rectangle in the size you're looking for. If you put the sizing or reference rectangle on a layer below the one where you're building the object, you can lock that layer while you work. That way the rectangle will stay put until you're ready to do something with it.

Working with layers and sizing rectangles will also enable you to build multiple objects in a single file if that's something that appeals to you.

Allison