I totally disagree with your post. It makes no sense.
It makes sense because Xara is still not available for the Mac. If it would be, I'd go for it.

The Mac is a very important platform for illustration and art work, so I really wonder why Xara is leaving this opportunity for others who can't even get close to what Xara can do.

I could cross upgrade most of my Win applications, in most cases with the identical serial number. ArtRage, PhotoLine, Photomatix Pro, Adobe Acrobat, LZ, VueScan, etc. Some are not (yet) available for the Mac, like Rhino (but the beta is already running), NoteTab Pro (I'm using Text Wrangler now which is close), Cinema 4D XL (version 7 doesn't run on Mac OSX and an upgrade to the latest version is too expensive and doesn't make sense to me for my purposes) and - you've guessed it - Xara.

Worst of all: I can't even open or convert the Xara file format to any other format like PDF <sigh>.

So I'm currently using Intaglio which is more finger cracking than something you can work with. Except for Acrobat I refuse to install any Adobe products because I don't like to adopt my work flow to that of some weird software engineers.

A life without Xara leaves a huge gap. But obviously that's the price you have to pay if you switch to a superior OS.