Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast

Default Re: Version 5.1 Launched

Quote Originally Posted by ajreed View Post
    The bottom line (for me anyway) is that the extra discount for being both XX4+WD owner is NOT equal to the cost of WD
    I think Xara should have told that XX5 would contain the same features as WD when they launched it (I'm pretty sure they knew that then). I'm sure that everyone that owned XX4 and was planning on upgrading to XX5 wouldn't have bought it then. I can't help feeling tricked into buying it, sort of. WD is completely useless for anyone who owns XX5.
    IP

At the time of Web Designer's release the decision had not been made to include it's features in Xtreme 5. That is what I have gathered from various posts made about the forums. If you search for posts made by Covoxer you will find one or more posts making that clear.

If Web Designer had not been so well received do you think they would have included it in Xtreme 5?
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update
    IP

I can't help feeling tricked into buying it, sort of. WD is completely useless for anyone who owns XX5.
    You could always give it away to someone who'd like free introduction to quality Xara products.

Please excuse my curiosity, but ...
    When all is said and done, what was your actual calculated loss (after considering all factors)?
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by Soquili View Post
    At the time of Web Designer's release the decision had not been made to include it's features in Xtreme 5. That is what I have gathered from various posts made about the forums. If you search for posts made by Covoxer you will find one or more posts making that clear.

If Web Designer had not been so well received do you think they would have included it in Xtreme 5?
    In that case so much more reason for either a full refund or at least a bigger discount for those XX5 upgraders/buyers who already had bought WD. Then thoughts like these probably wouldn't have come up.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by cursor View Post
    You could always give it away to someone who'd like free introduction to quality Xara products.

Please excuse my curiosity, but ...
    When all is said and done, what was your actual calculated loss (after considering all factors)?
    It's not about the money, it's about good business practices.
    IP

Releasing XWD before X5 was great business practice.

It introduced thousands of new people to Xara software and hundreds of new members to TG.

Of those new users, many will have been blown away by the software and eagerly upgraded to X5 when it was launched.

A whole new customer group and an increased income stream was generated by a stand-alone wysiwyg web design application. Great business practice.

Long term Xara users benefited from the continued development of the HTML export feature and saw it's fruition in X5. Releasing Web Designer between Xtreme releases was a smart move which is paying off. Upgrade discounts have been discussed ad nauseam, but it is generally agreed that XWD purchasers have not missed out at all.

Like everything in life, there's always something that can be found to not like - it changes nothing but your mood. What was it that Eric Idle sang about?
    IP

I agree wholeheartedly, Steve.

While I basically got a buck (US) back (considering the allowed discounts) from the entire upgrade process (bought Web Designer right off the bat ... studied, learned ... upgraded to Xtreme 5), I am ecstatic about the current (and certainly the FUTURE) possibilities of Xara web design. I have shared my very positive perspectives with no less than eight individuals (five of which have purchased Xara Xtreme 5). They too are excited about newly realized web development options.

The future looks good, indeed.
    IP

Smile Re: Version 5.1 Launched

As a fairly new Xara user (Xtreme 4 + WD now Xtreme 5) I'm pleased to find all the WD features in X5, saves me having to swap from one to the other, and the extra cost of that upgrade path is fairly minimal considering the value of the improvements in X5.

I'm especially happy with the way I can use the new screen capture utilility to capture multiple images from G-Force and then stretch a suitable one to make header graphic backgrounds and still retain a pleasing aspect of specific areas of the image.

Go Xara!
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    Releasing XWD before X5 was great business practice.

It introduced thousands of new people to Xara software and hundreds of new members to TG.
    For Xara/Magix, it was obviously a good thing.

I was thinking about the users though. If it was my company, I would have stated something like:

"We had not planned to include the WD features in XX5, but since we did we will offer one of two options for those who are buying or upgrading to XX5 and who already have bought WD, since WD now will be more or less redundant for them:

1. a full refund for WD if they choose to return it
    2. a 50% discount of the price of WD if they choose to keep the program (to give away or whatever).

Such generosity (if you want to call it that) is good business practice, and it always pays off in the long run for the company.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by tellurian View Post
    1. a full refund for WD if they choose to return it
    2. a 50% discount of the price of WD if they choose to keep the program (to give away or whatever).
    tellurian you have in fact received a full refund + a $1 bonus AND you don't have to return a thing (100% discount)

Unless you see something completely different on the Xara.com website or my math totally sucks - the facts are that you will receive a $50 discount when you upgrade from Web Designer to Xtreme5 or XtremePro 5.
    This clearly means you are totallay reimbursed/refunded.
    No-one is being gypped, swindled, ripped off, tricked, duped, conned or made a fool of by separating them from their money.

At least I can't see it

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	upgrade-costs-xwd2xtreme.png 
Views:	169 
Size:	55.1 KB 
ID:	64127

Looks like Great business practice to me...
    IP