Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Publish help please

Quote Originally Posted by ss-kalm View Post
    That's the whole point ... XWD knows nothing about files, folders, names etc. It generates a whole web site from the graphics every time you publish. Publishing (and only publishing) generates the HTML. So if you tweak the site, the graphics may have completely different names when it's published. If you delete the first graphic, every graphic on the site may be renamed when you publish. That's the very reason that the ftp publisher in XWD is set up to republish the whole site not small pieces of it.

I know people think that the time is important, why???? A 1/2hr upload is automatic, doesn't take any work and is painless. Why fight it. Upload the whole site. Surely it's not that time sensitive ....

I dont think its a caso of "time sensitive" I think its more a case of what you are used to. Ive had a couple of instances in the past where I have "previewed" a page in dreamweaver or web expression then when the page has been uploaded to a server there has been slight differences only slight but still different to a preview. So I got into the habit of not using built in previews and always having my ftp client open, quick change upload the page in seconds your seeing a "live" preview.

Im not criticsising Xara WD I absolutely love the software its one of the most user friendly pieces of sogtware I have ever had the pleasure of using, I cant for the life of me understand why it makes multiple copies of the same image seems like a waste of server resources but Im sure there will be a very good reason for it. (probably something Im doing wrong lol)

A 1/2 hour upload is a long time if your making multiple small changes and want to see live previews so I can understand some peoples frustrations absolutely. The built in ftp feature on any html is usually always an after thought anyhow thats why I reccomend a "real" standalone piece of software its a good investment
    Last edited by ChrisBro; 27 May 2009 at 09:47 AM. Reason: edit

Info Re: Publish help please

Quote Originally Posted by ss-kalm View Post
    I know people think that the time is important, why???? A 1/2hr upload is automatic, doesn't take any work and is painless. Why fight it. Upload the whole site. Surely it's not that time sensitive ....
    Hi there,
    There are many reasons if running a serious bizness.....
    1. EVERY change has to be verified "out there". (Even GOOD designers will blow it regularly.)

2. Every day the Net gets worse anywhere, but try running websites from anywhere else but inside the USA. Dropouts, they're called = destruction.

3. Try patching a real commercial Site over into XaraWD and just think of the audit time involved. 250 patches by 15 mins turnaround to verify = a weeks work.

4. BIG ONE: In the real world, time *IS* money.

I like the program - I bought it immediately after running the demo video, but
    it has a few major faults like that which really should be fixed and hopefully will be soon - this is a pretty raw version (very early/recent release).

Cheers,
    Himagain

Again wrong positioning.
    Professional designers in the "serious business" could use WD for prototyping. Not more.

WD can not replace professional designer. It would be much too trivial if any user could buy a $50 software and in a week become able to compete with professionals that use multikilobucks software and invested many years for learning and perfecting their skills.
    John.

wow. I am sorry for not returning your answers sooner, went on a trip. So how easy is publishing from Xara to a host? I have a decent page set up, but need to get it online soon.

Check out Xara Web Designer Help for File > Export website and File > Publish website.

I'll probably get lyched for this but hey here goes, Im going to chime in and say invest in a standalone ftp software such as cute ftp, wsftp pro theres loads of them, apart from the stability issues your not tying xara wd up for god knows how long whilst it uploads so you can then carry on with another site or whatever.

Just looking at the main page of this forum there does seem to be a "pattern" of reliability issues with the built in ftp transfer what this is down to who knows, for some reason according to the various posts I have read Xara support dont want to even admit theres an issue so just cut it out of the equation completely

Hope that helps and go easy on the whipping lol

thank you so much. i will check into that. web hosting though, is there one that is better over the other? Are they all the same? I need one that is relatively inexpensive, but I need quite a bit of space due to m renderings. they can be a bit large and I want to put as many as I can on the site.

Sledger,

What did you type in for the publish info for the 3iX host? I like the size and the cost so I am thinking of going with that one. I need to get this up and going as soon as I can

Thank you so much for your help

Perhaps you missed it ealier (as you are asking again) But 3iX are cheap and give plenty of space.
    I've used them for years, the service is good and the uptime excellent for the price.

You have full control of your space via cPanel and includes many free popular scripts and software which can be installed directly via cpanel (fantastico)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3ix.png 
Views:	150 
Size:	13.5 KB 
ID:	61640

Sorry, you posted while I was posting
    3iX requires your user name, password and /public_html/ (for the root folder)
    That's it. Dead easy

They also allow file management via cPanel
    Last edited by steve.ledger; 30 May 2009 at 09:06 PM.

I am sorry, I meant what do I type into Xara in order to publish from the program?

I just ordered it and awaiting for the payment to be processed so I can get started