Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Xtreme on BleepingComputer

Folks might be interested in the discussion of Xara vs. illustrator on BleepingComputer (http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/foru...&#entry1262684), and perhaps even to add a comment or two. You may have to go to the second page to find the Xara mentions. It’s under BleepingComputer.com > Software > Graphics Design and Photo Editing.

Default Re: Xtreme on BleepingComputer

Interesting discussion. Thanks for the link.

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Interesting reading Charlie. I posted a reply and a link to my website designed with both XXP and XWD. perhaps if a few more TG members were to chime in and show what they have done with Xara it would be a good thing. It was on another forum that I first heard about Xara, that led to me checking out the Xara website and I have used nothing else since.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

in my opinion, a lot of new posters saying how great xtreme is will only have the opposite effect.
    i think its more about status, in their own minds they think just because they spend more on a software they are somehow special, when in fact they are more like sheep!
    its the end result that counts, not how much the software was that created it?

Angelize – thanks for the post. That’s the reason I posted on BleepingComputer and suggested that others do, too.
    I agree, Suunto, a lot of it is about status. At the same time, I can understand the plight of someone working in a corporate environment where Illustrator is the standard. I think the point is to let folks know that there is an alternative and in time the competition will benefit all of us. Besides, I think Adobe just sticks it to designers with their pricing.

I think it is a cycle.

Schools teach Illustrator.

Businesses use Illustrator and hire graduates from a school because they are trained. The business also write off the cost of Illustrator as a business expense, the higher the cost the more the write off.

Adobe prices their software for the business to use as a write off.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

The more you write off with expensive software the less you have to write off other expenses. Write offs are only against TAX liability.
    Adobe makes it expensive because they built their business on expensive software.

Some businesses seem to prefer a business model that's sell's one item to one person @ $1000 (because they can afford it) rather than sell a one item to a thousand people at $100 (because many more people can afford $100).
    Never made sense to me..

@Steve:
    But it make sense, as you can see in the case of Adobe.
    Compare their Annual reports with MAGIX Annual report.

Oh we're not talking about Adobe's or any other Software company's finacial reports Remi (at least I didn't think we were).

What I'm talking about (and thought Bill was) is the cost to a business in purchasing Adobe software and how they can write off most (or all) of that cost as a 'business expense' against their annual TAX liability.

As a small business owner myself, I don't give a fig about Adobes annual report, that's their business.

Two things that I would say here, folk should know that my first choice is Xara, that it is hard to exchange files if you are working as a team. Secondly once you have bought what ever Adobe products in High School or university at Academic price and you have PS then upgrading to any product is done at the upgrade price even though you have left the school, college or whatever. Now I am not saying that it is cheap and especially in Europe and Adobe make the upgrade a necessity as some files cant be loaded in older versions of the software and I include Illustrator and well as InDesign here which is a real pain.
    Design is thinking made visual.