Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default rounded corners only on top

Hi

It seems to be possible to draw a rectangle with rounded corners only on top or only below. I can't figure out how to do that.

Any help is appreciated

Kind regards

Al

Default Re: rounded corners only on top

What I would do is slice half the object then apply rounded corners and slice the other half the object and combine

There's probably a better way, but here's one way:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_Image1 USE for Xara posts.png 
Views:	250 
Size:	17.1 KB 
ID:	60380  
    -=Bob=-

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

Al -- I'm guessing you meant to say "impossible" (rather than possible) because otherwise your question doesn't make much sense.

If you want just two rounded corners you can do it this way...

Step 1 - Create a rectangle. Clone it (select it and press ctrl+K) and move the clone either up/down, or right/left, using the arrow nudge keys. (Note ctrl+arrow will nudge with bigger jumps). The amount you moved one should be greater than the radius you are planning to have. Now you have two aligned but offset rectangles. Select one rectangle and click the Rectangle tool. Note in the Infobar that the 'curved corners button is available. Click it and adjust the radius to suit your fancy.

Step 2 - Select both shapes and combine them into one shape. You do that with the menu>arrange>combine shapes>add shapes menu item or simply enter ctrl+1 with both selected.

That will give you your shape with two rounded corners. Note if you want to change its proportions it is best to do it with the shape editor tool and not simple stretches.

Hope this helps.

Regards, Ross

The Drifter dude beat me to posting the answer and he even gave you some pretty pictures! Still, look at his and read mine and I'm sure you'll be able to do it yourself.

Regards, Ross (slow guy)

Hi Guys

Thanks for your help

Al

Not to beat a dead horse, but I think there's a more elegant way to do this.

After creating and sizing a rounded rectangle, press Ctrl-Shift-S to convert it from a rectangle-shape (which has special nodes) to a path shape.

Then select the very bottom two nodes with the shape tool. Delete those nodes and the shape will flatten out at the bottom.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	roundedrectangle.jpg 
Views:	219 
Size:	46.2 KB 
ID:	60400

Here the path shape no longer has the rounded corner adjustment handles, but you only switched tools rather than subtracting other objects. The time to do it might only be slightly less, but as I said, it's more elegant in a way.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	roundedrectangle2.jpg 
Views:	183 
Size:	48.1 KB 
ID:	60401

----------------------
    Moderator Note: This post refers to an operation only available in Xara Xtreme and not Xara Web Designer (this forum).
    A similar result in WD can be obtained by using Ctrl+1 instead of Ctrl+Shift+S.

----------------------
    Last edited by steve.ledger; 03 May 2009 at 06:51 PM. Reason: removed hotlinked images and attached to post - added post note

That is a great solution Michael. Much easier.

I would instinctively have gone for the boolean solution, but I like the node deletion solution too
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...