Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Using Web Designer w/ Xtreme

I like Web Designer a lot but I find that when I’m using it, I must also have Xara Xtreme Pro open and I’m working back and forth between the two. I understand that the object was to keep Web Designer as slim as possible, but for my uses, including all or more of Xara Xtreme Pro’s features would have helped. BTW, I’m one of those who’s asked for many years for a spell checker so I’m particularly happy to see that Web Designer has one.

Default Re: Using Web Designer w/ Xtreme

While working in Web Designer, I NEVER have Xtreme loaded. What is it that you need from Xtreme that Designer doesn't offer?

[As a single example] At one point, I felt like I couldn't do without the bevel tool while creating buttons. I later realized that there are a myriad of professional looking button styles that don't require bevels.

Why do you feel that Xtreme is required to create a professional looking website?

Why do you feel that Xtreme is required to create a professional looking website?
    I don't think Charles said anything about Xtreme being required for Professional Websites, but I do understand that an avid and creative Xtreme user will miss a number of tools when using WD simply because WD *looks* so much like Xtreme, therefore it's natural for the creative mind to remain in 'Xtreme' mode and look for the tools normally used to produce the results desired.
    Live Effects and Clipview for example I often miss, everyone likely have their favorites

What I’ve found works best for me is to develop the individual graphic elements in Xara Xtreme and then copy them to Web Designer. The same is true for a lot of text elements when they become essentially graphics – such as when developed using bevels, or blends. I create logos and design graphic shapes in Xtreme. Lately, what I’ve been doing is putting them side by side on my screen, maximizing one or the other when I find myself focusing more intensely on either design or the web site. This makes it easier to work back and forth. For me, so far, it’s been kind of like putting together jig saw puzzles where I make the pieces in Xtreme and do the assembly in Web Designer.

Perhaps it’s just the newness of Web Designer and my relative unfamiliarity. I’ve been using Xara for over ten years, so I’m pretty familiar with doing design and graphics there.

I do like the new program, though.

Xtreme 5, I believe, will be the solution. (September?)