Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Repel text not working

I seem to be having trouble with the repel text function. When I go to repel text on an object, the text repels only on the top and bottom and not on the sides, as shown on the attachment. Anyone know why this is happening?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	repel not working.jpg 
Views:	219 
Size:	38.7 KB 
ID:	58573  

Default Re: Repel text not working

Quote Originally Posted by Sweet As View Post
    I seem to be having trouble with the repel text function. When I go to repel text on an object, the text repels only on the top and bottom and not on the sides, as shown on the attachment. Anyone know why this is happening?
    I guess I know - there's no spaces between words in your text. How do you expect them fit on the right and left sides of the object?
    John.

WD is seeing all those 'm's as one long word, putting spaces in will help no end.

On the other hand, it can format the continuous string of m's into the unrepelled lines by inserting soft line breaks where needed so why can't it format them into the repelled lines in the same way?

Phil

Excellent question Phil.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

I guess it's the way repelling algorithm works. I see it this way:
    - if the word is too long to fit between repealing object and text border, the line is left blank;
    - if there is no repelling objects, we can't leave blank line because the text will not be displayed, so it is wrapped at the edge.
    This approach is useful because very narrow spaces are often generated by repelling objects, so that even common words would not fit there. But splitting a word apart is an emergency technique, we should avoid it unless we have no other choices left. So, in practice, with realistic text, it simply repel lines when it can't fit words.
    John.

Thanks guys. I've had Xtreme 4 Pro since its inception and always wondered why the text didn't repel as I wanted when I did what I did with the Ms.

When experimenting with text and graphics, Xara's 'lorem ipsum' dummy text works great (Ctrl+Shift+L). Tapping the shortcut keys a number of times will give you several paragraphs of text.

Quote Originally Posted by cursor View Post
    When experimenting with text and graphics, Xara's 'lorem ipsum' dummy text works great (Ctrl+Shift+L). Tapping the shortcut keys a number of times will give you several paragraphs of text.
    aha. Will try that next time. Thanks.