Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Website deconstruction

Gary Priester has inspired me to redo my old webpage. Actually he might have been trying to inspire me to buy Web Designer, lol. I just might do that anyway but now I'm going to have to wait for a bit before I can get it.

In the mean time, I am going to share the link to my site for a short time so that you can read my short story 'The Tale of Isa'. It's only 2 pages. I really like this tale and I'm kind of proud of it. I won a Golden Tori award for it.

It will probably not be on my new webpage so you may well be the last people to see it.

The site is very crude as I wrote alot of the code myself. I never share or post the link anymore and it has gone to the wayside. I think it's time to reinvent myself so I post it here and ask if there is anything at all that I should keep. Be brutally honest, as I know it's not very good anyway.

I'll be removing most of the artwork. There are only a few images that I'll carry over. I want to use Xara to make my buttons, headers and navigation bars. If there's nothing worth saving I'll start from scratch.

The biggest question is whether or not I should keep NGartplay. The second is exactly what do I want from my site. I don't know the answer to either of those, lol.

Do not laugh...here it is:
    http://burpee.sitesled.com/
    Things you should never say when pulled over by the police:
    Could you hold my beer while I dig out my license?

Default Re: Website deconstruction

Hi Nancy,

I really like your artwork on the site. One point about your galleries though. When someone clicks on a thumbnail to view the larger image. I think you should provide a way back to the thumbnails without having to click the back button of the browser.

Your short story has possibilities. It could be fleshed out and have smoother transitions. Oh, and make the font for the credits different from the story text.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Quote Originally Posted by Soquili View Post
    I think you should provide a way back to the thumbnails without having to click the back button of the browser.
    Use the keyboard 'Backspace' button Bill.. (Or ALT + )

Very nice work Nancy.
    I've never got into 3D work, can't think why really. Just not my thing I guess.
    But I do enjoy viewing what other people can create..

Thanks Steve but I was thinking more along the lines of having the larger image be a popup and a click on it would close the popup.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

I'm messin' with you Bill.

But for what it's worth, pop up blockers can ruin well intentioned sites

Nancy I very much like the art work in 'Sewer Rats'
    You must have spent a great deal of time working on those graphics?

Smashing artwork Nancy, particularly like "The Land" collection.
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64

Impressive.
    Keep it up

Nothing crude about the site, Nancy. Its simplicity serves as a showcase for your work. I particularly enjoyed "Grandpa's Chair" and the hangdog expression of the guilty mutt in "New Shoes".
    "Canyon Walls" and "Danver's Crossing - 14 Miles" are also in my favourites list. I appreciate the art in all the sections, but Fantasy isn't really my scene, but I can marvel at the artwork produced.
    Edit: On further perusal, I saw "Late Night Snack" and was immediately reminded of Edward Hopper's "Nighthawks". It's not so much what he paints, but what the viewer can't quite see which is
    evident in a lot of his work, and that is echoed here. Before this becomes a critique of your work, I'll move on.
    The only criticisms I have are that the 3D Art Links Resource Page is difficult to read because of the text colour/background clash, and I would advise a continuity of background that is established
    on the home page. I appreciate that it will all change anyway and look forward to seeing the new site.
    Your main questions are interdependent, really. If you feel that the NG Artplay is the main focus as a business where you will sell artwork and peronalised puzzles and post freebies and have links
    to other sites, then you would probably be better to retain that name.
    If, however the site is mainly going to focus on displaying your work, then I think you should announce Nancy Griffin to the world.
    Saludos,
    Bob.
    Last edited by iamtheblues; 09 April 2009 at 08:41 AM.
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

'sailing on a spring day' and 'dinner invitation' impressed me - both full of implication, I like implication

very good
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Nice stuff Nancy. Perfect content for a Web Designer website.