Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Re: Show us your sites!

Here's a Website that was 99% done by my girlfriend over the weekend with WD. Every page was made in WD except the 'News' page. She didn't want to look at what WD could do when I found it, being that she was using Dreamweaver, but after I convinced her to take a look at WD she remade her website into something that was beyond her dreams and that was done in just hours! Excellent Software XARA!

http://comigirl.com
    IP

Smile Re: Show us your sites!

First attempt, text is just garble but you can get the idea. Does anyone know whether its possible to get the transparent background effect when opening a gallery like when using LightBox?

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/stuart.a.wilson/index.htm
    IP

Does the job nicely - check out the photo gallery "Communal"!

Still a bit of lorem ipsum on the first page.

Paul
    IP

http://www.snowfall.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/paddy

I had been keeping a kind of Dog-blog since we got our new puppy, using X5 Evolution as the authoring tool, but was never happy with the results. I downloaded WD yesterday and apart from copying the header and the text across I rebuilt it from scratch in a few hours.

I'll probably be altering bits as I learn more about WD, but I'm impressed by how easy it is to get a basic grasp of, ideal for somebody like me who has neither the time nor the mental capacity to get to grips with coding.
    IP

Brand new to Xara & talkgraphics when I purchased Web Designer right after its release. Here's the new front page for: Pets-n-People.net

http://pets-n-people.net

The page takes a while to load as we've got lots of pics to show off. If there are suggestions as to speeding things up, I'd love to hear them. Or constructive criticism in general. Thanks in advance.
    IP

Your banner image is currently over 250k. It's a png graphic right now, which it doesn't need to be. If you convert this jpg and force to 75% quality, it would reduce down to about 44k with not appreciable loss in quality.

To do this the easiest way, right click the graphic that is the header background, choose web properties from the list, go to the image tab and instead of "letting Xara choose", select jpg and put the slider at 75%. All other graphics will be left alone, but this will force this as jpg output.

You can probably make similar gains with other changes like this.

Does that help?
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by slavelle View Post
    Your banner image is currently over 250k. It's a png graphic right now, which it doesn't need to be. If you convert this jpg and force to 75% quality, it would reduce down to about 44k with not appreciable loss in quality.

To do this the easiest way, right click the graphic that is the header background, choose web properties from the list, go to the image tab and instead of "letting Xara choose", select jpg and put the slider at 75%. All other graphics will be left alone, but this will force this as jpg output.

You can probably make similar gains with other changes like this.

Does that help?
    Thanks! Interesting & nice catch ... it was imported as a .gif so it did make that choice. I'll work on that. As a .gif, the original is only 68KB.
    IP

I love your site.. and it loads fast for me. I have cable. Oops - I meant this message for JKatz.... posted in wrong area.
    Last edited by jaci; 25 March 2009 at 04:57 PM.
    IP

Thanks jaci ... yours looks great too. Well done.

I have cable too but I've already made the suggested change & that helps. (Thanks again, slavelle)
    IP

Hey jcatz - glad that helped. I'd guess the next thing in line would be the .swf file you've got. What did you make this with? Do you have an option in that utility to compress the images?

Your swf file is quite large. Looks like site-perf and other such tools kinda just barf on it, but appears to be over 4mb from what I can tell. Looks like it is in the load order such that the rest of the page is waiting on it to get going.

I bet without that flash or with it optimized, your page would load fine. Most of your other graphics are under 5k each (save the header @ 50k).
    IP