Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Ok ... I'm thinking I might just have to buy this one. XaraX looks to good to pass up and the price is affordable. But I would like to know if anyone knows how much the shipping and any odd add-on fees would be to ship to Nova Scotia Canada(brokerage, duties, etc...). I bought a 3d app (Cinema4d-go www.maxoncomputer.com) for $199US from California and by the end of it I spent $400 Canadian on it (including an $80 fee when it was delivered to my door ... tax & brokerage fee. Incidentally I didn't have the cash at that time on me , so he redelivered it the next day ... which killed me!! :-) ...). So I'm half expecting XaraX to cost me around $300 Canadian by the end of it. I'm just wondering if this might be the case.

DK

Ok ... I'm thinking I might just have to buy this one. XaraX looks to good to pass up and the price is affordable. But I would like to know if anyone knows how much the shipping and any odd add-on fees would be to ship to Nova Scotia Canada(brokerage, duties, etc...). I bought a 3d app (Cinema4d-go www.maxoncomputer.com) for $199US from California and by the end of it I spent $400 Canadian on it (including an $80 fee when it was delivered to my door ... tax & brokerage fee. Incidentally I didn't have the cash at that time on me , so he redelivered it the next day ... which killed me!! :-) ...). So I'm half expecting XaraX to cost me around $300 Canadian by the end of it. I'm just wondering if this might be the case.

DK

This is a grey area. AFAIK Xara Ltd don't charge extra for out-of-the-way addresses and if it were a letter I presume it would get through without additional cost. As merchandise however, you're supposed to declare its value and pay import duty. In the UK, not only do you have to pay duty, you often have to pay / arrange someone to clear the goods through customs.

The usual way round the problem is to check the box marked "Gift / Sample of merchandise", but that relies on the sender making a false statement.

Regards - Sean
    Regards - Sean

In the past, I've bought Xara 3D4. I downloaded first, then they sent me a CD in the mail at no extra charge. I live in southern Ontario, Canada.
    Now, I'll have to put this disclaimer in just in case, but for the CD, I paid NO extra fee. I was amazed at how fast I got it too. I paid the download price (plus US exchange) ... but that was it. Shipping fees are included in the price (far as I know). If someone else can confirm this for me, please reply. But... as far as I know, you pay the 149.00 us (full pop) or the upgrade price, -- and that's it! They send you the CD at no extra charge.
    Don't sweat it .... they have excellent support and they're good for it.

Wayne

Just now received an email from XaraClub including, in part,

"Xara X costs just $149 (+ VAT in Europe) with discounts for existing owners
    of CorelXARA, Xara Studio, ArtWorks (cost $69 + VAT in Europe) and Webster
    2 (cost $99 + VAT in Europe). This price covers an unlock code for the
    download, a CD which will be sent on later (allow at least 3 weeks) and
    postage to anywhere in the world. The CD is shipped to everyone who orders
    online and includes a backup copy of the program plus a bundle of extra
    resources - clipart, fonts, texture fills, photos and tutorial movies.

You can purchase at any time within the 15 days by simply clicking the
    Purchase button on start up. Note: If you are purchasing an upgrade from
    CorelXARA or Xara Studio it will be quicker and easier if you purchase from
    a machine on which you already have your older version installed."

"Postage to anywhere..." -- ya gotta love Xara!

So is it just a cd that's sent in a small package. Or is it a huge box. I remember I bought PhotoImpact5 and it came in a big box with packing and then the software box and in that the book and cd .... it's an aweful lot for just a slim book and cd.

I guess I'm kindof leary of having software shipped to me since that Cinema4d-go thing which doubled the price from the US price.

I have recently bought an upgrade to PhotoImpact6 and a web program from www.namo.com and both were entirely downloaded. It's not quite as nice as getting the actual cd but it cuts out the shipping and other costs that are sometimes unknown (brokerage fee and tax and such)

DK

Xara 3D4 came through snail mail for me. It was in a small sealed cardboard envelope nice and compact. In other words, it was like getting regular mail. That, I suspect, cut down the expense on Xara's side. No matter, as long as I got the CD, right? There wasn't any manuals, no need. The program runs itself practically. As far as Xara X is concerned, I can only imagine they'll be doing the same thing, since there won't be manuals shipped with it. Not to worry though. The online help files coupled with material from the newly opened "insiders area" (which will be re-hosted, thankfully by Xara LTD)... is more than sufficient to get people going in Xara X. If you haven't been by yet, check it out. There are downloadable HTML files that read better than manuals, authored by the supreme Xealot himself, Gary priester.

Hope this has helped allay your fears.

Regards, Wayne

Thanks ... looks like I'll take the plunge in a couple weeks. You're right ... so far I've found XaraX pretty intuitive. I generally don't use manuals but look up the occasional thing in the helps system in programs. If a program is to messed up interface-wise, then I don't bother :-D.

Ok ... now if I do happen to get stuck with a $150 brokerage fee charge, at least I'll know who to look for ...hehe! Just what the hell is a brokerage fee anyhow ... oh I know, they try their best to make you broke with it :-)!

DK